Fix Paint Damage After Removing Foam: Tips & Advice

• Thread starter fitz_calc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paint Wall
In summary: WD40 is a great solvent to use for removing adhesive and gunk. It's also lightweight so it doesn't cause a lot of damage. Acetone is a good option as well, but be careful not to damage the paint. Opening the windows and doors will help to disperse the fumes.
fitz_calc
A lot of you seem like the "handy" type so maybe you can give me some advice. A friend of my had some acoustic foam on his wall (with spray-on adhere stuff), removed the foam, and now some foam is stuck and in other spots some of the paint was removed.

YqJbtOH.jpg

ShE0sOO.jpg

1. How should I remove the remaining foam without damaging the paint?
2. The spots that are missing paint due to foam removal, what's the best way to repair?

Thank you for your help :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it were me I would just pull or scrape or whatever is needed to remove the foam with the minimum damage and then repaint.

Same. Scrape everything off, grab a sample square of the paint from an affected area so you can get the paint mixed to the proper color, sand the affected areas, and re-paint.

Sometimes heat will soften adhesive. A woman's hair dryer might be just the ticket for removing the remainiing foam.

That looks like a textured wall.
The fellows at your local lumberyard can suggest suitable repair products.
There's textured paint in spray cans now, and something called "knockdown".

Three words men fear most are "I don't know". Go in your lumberyard and ask for their help. They'll not think less of you..

old jim

jim hardy said:
Sometimes heat will soften adhesive. A woman's hair dryer might be just the ticket for removing the remainiing foam.
What's wrong with using a man's hair dryer?

Heat could be a good idea, perhaps try dampening it as well. Steamers are a good way of getting most things off walls. For the blank spaces so long as there's no damage underneath (broken plaster for example) just touch them up with a small pot of paint.

This stuff has always worked wonders for me. If you do try it, do a test area first.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041LY4MY/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent ideas, thanks all for the help!

WD 40 has a good record for removing adhesives and gunk from just about anything.

fitz_calc said:
A lot of you seem like the "handy" type so maybe you can give me some advice. A friend of my had some acoustic foam on his wall (with spray-on adhere stuff), removed the foam, and now some foam is stuck and in other spots some of the paint was removed.

YqJbtOH.jpg

ShE0sOO.jpg

1. How should I remove the remaining foam without damaging the paint?
2. The spots that are missing paint due to foam removal, what's the best way to repair?

Thank you for your help :)
Gently brush some turp's or similar solvent onto the foam and "melt" it off. Simple's!

Just use WD 40. Soak it in, it'll start to dissolve the foam and the goo.

Ryan_m_b said:
What's wrong with using a man's hair dryer?

Aha nice catch...

Frame of reference problem here -

i am of an industrial workshop mindset where the term "Hair Dryer" is mis-applied.
It's slang, how we refer to an 'industrial heat gun' used for shrink tubing.
This one weighs five pounds and will ignite charcoal.

4Z714_AS01?$productdetail$.jpg

Tim Allen or Red Green would call it a "man's hair dryer"...
The resemblance to a woman's hair dryer is apparent.
But this one would quickly melt styrofoam and likely set it afire.

I hope above is a satisfactory explanation for my genderizing the term .

old jim

WD40 will likely leave residue to which your touch-up paint won't adhere. Test it somewhere inconspicuous..Veli's turpentine might work and has a pleasant piney smell.
Beware of solvents like acetone that attack the styrofoam, you'll get a real mess.

I'd try rubbing alcohol to soften the adhesive, but first open all the doors & windows.
You don't want explosive vapors of any sort to build up.
They are generally heavier than air and will collect on floor or in basement. Ventilate!

1. How do I know if the foam has caused damage to my paint?

One way to check for paint damage is to gently run your hand over the area where the foam was removed. If you feel any roughness or unevenness, it is likely that the foam has caused damage to the paint.

2. What are some techniques for removing foam without damaging the paint?

One technique is to use a hairdryer on low heat to soften the foam and then gently scrape it off with a plastic putty knife. Another method is to use rubbing alcohol or a citrus-based cleaner to dissolve the foam before wiping it away with a cloth.

3. Can I fix the paint damage myself or do I need to take it to a professional?

The extent of the paint damage will determine whether you can fix it yourself or if you need to seek professional help. Minor scratches or scuffs can often be fixed with touch-up paint, but larger areas of damage may require professional repainting.

4. How long do I need to wait before attempting to fix the paint damage?

It is important to wait until the paint is completely dry before attempting to fix any damage. This can vary depending on the type of paint used, but typically it is recommended to wait at least 24 hours.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when fixing the paint damage?

Before fixing the paint damage, make sure to thoroughly clean and dry the area. Use a fine-grit sandpaper to smooth out any rough edges and apply the touch-up paint in thin layers, allowing each layer to dry before applying the next. It is also important to use the correct color and type of paint to match the existing paint on your car.