How Does a Painter Balance on a Board While Painting?

• Thread starter turandorf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, A physics student of mass mm = 100 kg builds a platform on saw horses to paint houses. The platform is made of a large pine board with a mass of mb = 60 kg and an overall length of L = 8.5 meters. The board overhangs each side by l = 2.25 meters and is set on two 1.1 meter tall saw horses. The student stands over the support at point B and the force exerted by the beam on the support at A is calculated. In part (b), the student must stand within a certain distance from the left end of the beam to prevent it from tipping over. In part (c), one of the supports is removed and placed 1
turandorf

Homework Statement

A physics student of mass mm = 100 kg gets a summer job painting houses. On his first project, he builds a platform using large pine board with a mass of mb = 60 kg The board has an overall length of L = 8.5 meters and set on two 1.1 meter tall saw horses so that l = 2.25 meters overhangs each side.
(a) the student stands over the support at point B, calculate the force exerted by the beam on the support at A__.
(b) b)How far from the left end of the beam can the painter stand before the board (and painter) begin to tip over?
(c) He now removes one of the supports and places the other one 1/3 of the way from the left edge. Standing at the end of the board, he has his girl friend place paint cans, each of mass mc = 1.75 kg, on the opposite end. How many cans will the girl have to place on the board to provide the best balance? (You may neglect the small length of the board that both the man and the cans occupy. Assume both are points at the ends of the board.)

Homework Equations

Torque=F(r)
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought part (a) would be mg*r but that didn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a) if he is standing over the support, then what weights are acting through that point?

For b) the sum of the torques (or moments if you like) will need to be 0, or there will be an incident and some paint to clean off the ground.

Where is the center of mass acting relative to a saw horse?

At tipping then won't his distance from the say horse times his weight need to be greater than the center of mass times its distance from the same point?

For (a) the weight is (100+60)9.81=1569.6N (man+board) Is this just split between the two points? Or do I have to use Torque=F(r)? (in which case r would be 4 meters [distance between B and A] right?)

turandorf said:
For (a) the weight is (100+60)9.81=1569.6N (man+board) Is this just split between the two points? Or do I have to use Torque=F(r)? (in which case r would be 4 meters [distance between B and A] right?)

Isn't just half the weight of the board acting through each support? Then the weight of the man is additionally acting over the support at one end?

Oh wow yeah can't see why I couldn't figure that out. (It equaled 294.3N) Thanks for the insight! So in (b), the torque of the man can't exceed 294.3(4+x), right? (Where x is the distance from the support to the painter and the 4 comes from the distance from point A to B.) Then if the torque pf the man equals Mg*x you can just set the two equations equal and sole for x. Let me know if there are any flaws in this. Thanks!

turandorf said:
Oh wow yeah can't see why I couldn't figure that out. (It equaled 294.3N) Thanks for the insight! So in (b), the torque of the man can't exceed 294.3(4+x), right? (Where x is the distance from the support to the painter and the 4 comes from the distance from point A to B.) Then if the torque pf the man equals Mg*x you can just set the two equations equal and sole for x. Let me know if there are any flaws in this. Thanks!

In b) you are dealing with a balance. First choose the point that it will pivot about ... like the saw horse at whatever end he stands at. He can move outside that only so long as the weight at the center of mass acting at guess where ... the center of mass ... times its distance from the pivot is not exceeded by his distance away to the outside times his weight.

OK so i pivot around point B. So the weight of the painter times the distance past B has to equal the center of mass times the distance to B which would be 2 m right? Or is the center of mass including the painter as well as the board? I really am confused, sorry.

turandorf said:
OK so i pivot around point B. So the weight of the painter times the distance past B has to equal the center of mass times the distance to B which would be 2 m right?

Yes. That's right.

Consider the elements acting separately is fine.

What you are determining is the condition at which the center of mass of the system, painter and board, lays no farther than the support point at the saw horse.

1. What is Painter (Equilibrium)?

Painter (Equilibrium) is a term used in the field of economics to describe a theoretical situation in which the market for a particular good or service reaches a state of balance, where the quantity demanded by consumers is equal to the quantity supplied by producers.

2. How does Painter (Equilibrium) occur?

Painter (Equilibrium) occurs when the forces of supply and demand are in balance. This means that neither buyers nor sellers have the power to influence the price of the good or service. At this point, the market reaches a stable price and quantity.

3. What factors can affect Painter (Equilibrium)?

Several factors can affect Painter (Equilibrium), including changes in consumer preferences, technology, production costs, and government policies. These factors can shift the supply and demand curves, causing the market to reach a new equilibrium.

4. How do you calculate Painter (Equilibrium)?

Painter (Equilibrium) can be calculated by finding the point where the supply and demand curves intersect. This point represents the equilibrium price and quantity. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by setting the quantity demanded equal to the quantity supplied and solving for the price.

5. What happens if the market is not at Painter (Equilibrium)?

If the market is not at Painter (Equilibrium), there will be either a shortage or a surplus of the good or service. A shortage occurs when the quantity demanded is greater than the quantity supplied, leading to an increase in price. A surplus occurs when the quantity supplied is greater than the quantity demanded, leading to a decrease in price.