Solving for Acceleration in a Pulley System

• Thread starter Radarithm
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a painter of mass M standing on a scaffold of mass m and pulling himself up with a force F using two ropes and pulleys. Assuming that the acceleration of the painter and the scaffold is the same, the equations for the painter and scaffold alone can be written as 2T+N_scaffold-M_painter*g=M_painter*a and 2T-N_painter-m_scaffold*g=m_scaffold*a respectively. Adding these equations and dividing by the combined mass, we get an equation for the acceleration a. However, the presence of the scaffold and the painter's force F complicates the situation, and using the assumption of equal and opposite forces, the final equation for the acceleration becomes a=(4F-(M
Radarithm
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A painter of mass M stands on a scaffold of mass m and pulls himself up by two ropes which hang over pulleys, as shown. He pulls each rope with a force F and accelerates upwards with a uniform acceleration a. Find a - neglecting the fact that no one could do this for long.

Homework Equations

[tex]F=M\ddot{y}[/tex]
[tex]\zeta=(M+m)[/tex]
[tex]F=\zeta\ddot{y}[/tex]
For the painter:
[tex]2T-N_1-Mg=M\ddot{y}[/tex]
For the scaffold alone:
[tex]2T-mg-N_2=m\ddot{y}[/tex]
For the entire system:
[tex]T_\Sigma -\zeta g=\zeta\ddot{y}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have assumed that:
1 - [itex]N_2=Mg[/itex] because of Newton's 3rd Law.
2 - The acceleration of the entire system is [itex]\ddot{y}[/itex].

After solving for numerous equations, I checked the solutions section and got a hint: if [itex]M=m[/itex] then [itex]a=g[/itex]. After plugging in values, I did not get [itex]g[/itex] but instead [itex]2g[/itex] and many other values. My first approach:

Entire system: [itex]T_\Sigma -\zeta g=\zeta\ddot{y}[/itex]
So [tex]T_\Sigma=\zeta(g+\ddot{y})[/tex] and [tex]\ddot{y}=T_\Sigma -g=2F-g[/tex]
For the painter: [itex]2F-N_1-Mg=M\ddot{y}[/itex]. Since [itex]N_1=Mg[/itex], that means that:
[tex]\zeta (g+\ddot{y})=M\ddot{y}[/tex] which leads to: [tex]\ddot{y}(M-\zeta)=\zeta g[/tex]. Solving for the acceleration, we get: [tex]\ddot{y}=\frac{\zeta g}{(M-\zeta)}[/tex].
When I let M and m equal 1, I got twice the acceleration. Where did I go wrong? I had many more attempts but this one seems like the clearest one to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
1st, there is a sign mistake in the equation for the painter

2nd, your application of the 3rd law makes no sense. Those forces are not a pair of action and reaction. One is a normal force and the other is a gravitational force. A pair of action and reaction will always have the same nature. Pair normal with normal and gravity with gravity. Also the pair of forces never-ever-ever act on the same object. It's always Object A acts on object B and object B reacts on object A.

Radarithm said:
For the painter:
[tex]2T-N_1-Mg=M\ddot{y}[/tex]
For the scaffold alone:
[tex]2T-mg-N_2=m\ddot{y}[/tex]
Isn't ##N_1## the normal force of the scaffold acting on the painter? It should be upward. Also, if ##N_2## is the normal force of the painter on the scaffold, then ##N_1 = N_2##.
I have assumed that:
1 - [itex]N_2=Mg[/itex] because of Newton's 3rd Law.
As noted above, ##N_1 = N_2##, but I don't see why these would be equal to ##Mg## (the weight of the painter). Indeed, if ##M < m## then there won't be any contact force at all.

[STRIKE][/STRIKE]I was able to derive a second equation, but I get 6.2 m/s^2:
Painter: [itex]2F+N_1-Mg=M\ddot{y}[/itex]
Scaffold alone: [itex]2F-N_2-mg=m\ddot{y}[/itex]

[tex]N_2=N_1[/tex]
[tex]N_2=2F-m(g-\ddot{y})[/tex]

System itself: [itex]F-\zeta g=\zeta\ddot{y}[/itex]

[tex]T-\zeta g=\zeta\ddot{y}[/tex]
[tex]2F=\zeta (g+\ddot{y})[/tex]

This means that if I plug this into the equation for the painter:
[tex]2\zeta(g+\ddot{y})-g(m-M)=\ddot{y}(M+m)[/tex]
[tex]M\ddot{y}+m\ddot{y}+2\zeta\ddot{y}=g(2\zeta -m-M)[/tex]
[tex]\ddot{y}(M+m+2\zeta)=g(2\zeta -m-M)[/tex]
[tex]g\frac{(2\zeta -m-M)}{(M+m+2\zeta)}[/tex]

The mistake is staring me right in the face. :confused:

Radarithm said:
[STRIKE][/STRIKE]I was able to derive a second equation, but I get 6.2 m/s^2:
Painter: [itex]2F+N_1-Mg=M\ddot{y}[/itex]
Scaffold alone: [itex]2F-N_2-mg=m\ddot{y}[/itex]

[tex]N_2=N_1[/tex]
[tex]N_2=2F-m(g-\ddot{y})[/tex]
Already you've made a sign error in that last equation, assuming it is supposed to be a rearrangement of the "scaffold alone" equation above.

Also, the equation 2F=ζ(g+y¨) for the whole system is wrong. The left side is off by a factor of 2.

So I think this post is dead but I'll give it a shot and try to revive it. I'm sorry if it seems inappropriate but I must also check my answer to this problem

Here is my my analysis:

##2T+N_{scaffold}-M_{parinter}g=M_{painter}a_{painter}##

##2T-N_{painter}-m_{scaffold}g=m_{scaffold}a_{scaffold}##

since ##a_{painter}=a_{scaffold}## and ##N_{painter}=N_{scaffold}## and we can solve for simply ##a## (acceleration of the painter and scaffold) by adding the equations and diving by ##M+m##

##a=\frac{4T-(M+m)g}{M+m}##

Now it turns weird. I can assume by Newton's Third Law that ##F## of the painter should create an equal and opposite tension on the rope, yielding

##a=\frac{4F-(M+m)g}{M+m}##

which agrees with the clue given in the book, but I'm a little hesitant with this since I feel the scaffold (and the painter just by standing on it) must somehow also be affecting the tension.

Any help?

Last edited:
Likes Miles123K

1. What is the meaning of "Painter on a Scaffold"?

"Painter on a Scaffold" is a famous painting by the French artist Gustave Courbet. It was created in 1855 and depicts a man standing on a scaffold while painting a landscape. The painting is a representation of the artist's struggle and dedication to his craft.

2. What is the historical significance of "Painter on a Scaffold"?

"Painter on a Scaffold" is considered a masterpiece of Realism, an art movement that emerged in the 19th century. It challenged the traditional ideals of beauty and focused on depicting the realities of everyday life. This painting also reflects the social and political climate of France during that time period.

3. How was "Painter on a Scaffold" received by the public?

Initially, the painting received mixed reactions from the public. Some praised it for its realism and authenticity, while others criticized it for its lack of idealism. However, over time, it gained recognition for its artistic value and is now considered one of Courbet's most iconic works.

4. What techniques did Courbet use in "Painter on a Scaffold"?

Courbet used oil on canvas to create this painting. He also used a technique called "en plein air," which means painting outdoors, to capture the landscape's natural lighting and colors. He also employed a realistic style, paying attention to details and accurately depicting the man's posture and tools.

5. Where is "Painter on a Scaffold" currently located?

"Painter on a Scaffold" is currently on display at the Musée Fabre in Montpellier, France. It is part of the museum's permanent collection and can be viewed by the public. It has also been exhibited in various museums and galleries around the world, including the Louvre in Paris.