1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Painter on a Scaffold

1. Mar 26, 2014 #1

Radarithm

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A painter of mass M stands on a scaffold of mass m and pulls himself up by two ropes which hang over pulleys, as shown. He pulls each rope with a force F and accelerates upwards with a uniform acceleration a. Find a - neglecting the fact that no one could do this for long.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]F=M\ddot{y}[/tex]
    [tex]\zeta=(M+m)[/tex]
    [tex]F=\zeta\ddot{y}[/tex]
    For the painter:
    [tex]2T-N_1-Mg=M\ddot{y}[/tex]
    For the scaffold alone:
    [tex]2T-mg-N_2=m\ddot{y}[/tex]
    For the entire system:
    [tex]T_\Sigma -\zeta g=\zeta\ddot{y}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have assumed that:
    1 - [itex]N_2=Mg[/itex] because of Newton's 3rd Law.
    2 - The acceleration of the entire system is [itex]\ddot{y}[/itex].

After solving for numerous equations, I checked the solutions section and got a hint: if [itex]M=m[/itex] then [itex]a=g[/itex]. After plugging in values, I did not get [itex]g[/itex] but instead [itex]2g[/itex] and many other values. My first approach:

Entire system: [itex]T_\Sigma -\zeta g=\zeta\ddot{y}[/itex]
    So [tex]T_\Sigma=\zeta(g+\ddot{y})[/tex] and [tex]\ddot{y}=T_\Sigma -g=2F-g[/tex]
    For the painter: [itex]2F-N_1-Mg=M\ddot{y}[/itex]. Since [itex]N_1=Mg[/itex], that means that:
    [tex]\zeta (g+\ddot{y})=M\ddot{y}[/tex] which leads to: [tex]\ddot{y}(M-\zeta)=\zeta g[/tex]. Solving for the acceleration, we get: [tex]\ddot{y}=\frac{\zeta g}{(M-\zeta)}[/tex].
    When I let M and m equal 1, I got twice the acceleration. Where did I go wrong? I had many more attempts but this one seems like the clearest one to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2014 #2
    1st, there is a sign mistake in the equation for the painter

2nd, your application of the 3rd law makes no sense. Those forces are not a pair of action and reaction. One is a normal force and the other is a gravitational force. A pair of action and reaction will always have the same nature. Pair normal with normal and gravity with gravity. Also the pair of forces never-ever-ever act on the same object. It's always Object A acts on object B and object B reacts on object A.

4. Mar 26, 2014 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Isn't ##N_1## the normal force of the scaffold acting on the painter? It should be upward. Also, if ##N_2## is the normal force of the painter on the scaffold, then ##N_1 = N_2##.
    As noted above, ##N_1 = N_2##, but I don't see why these would be equal to ##Mg## (the weight of the painter). Indeed, if ##M < m## then there won't be any contact force at all.

5. Mar 26, 2014 #4

Radarithm

Gold Member

[STRIKE][/STRIKE]I was able to derive a second equation, but I get 6.2 m/s^2:
    Painter: [itex]2F+N_1-Mg=M\ddot{y}[/itex]
    Scaffold alone: [itex]2F-N_2-mg=m\ddot{y}[/itex]

[tex]N_2=N_1[/tex]
    [tex]N_2=2F-m(g-\ddot{y})[/tex]

System itself: [itex]F-\zeta g=\zeta\ddot{y}[/itex]

[tex]T-\zeta g=\zeta\ddot{y}[/tex]
    [tex]2F=\zeta (g+\ddot{y})[/tex]

This means that if I plug this into the equation for the painter:
    [tex]2\zeta(g+\ddot{y})-g(m-M)=\ddot{y}(M+m)[/tex]
    [tex]M\ddot{y}+m\ddot{y}+2\zeta\ddot{y}=g(2\zeta -m-M)[/tex]
    [tex]\ddot{y}(M+m+2\zeta)=g(2\zeta -m-M)[/tex]
    [tex]g\frac{(2\zeta -m-M)}{(M+m+2\zeta)}[/tex]

The mistake is staring me right in the face. :confused:

6. Mar 26, 2014 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Already you've made a sign error in that last equation, assuming it is supposed to be a rearrangement of the "scaffold alone" equation above.

7. Mar 26, 2014 #6
    Also, the equation 2F=ζ(g+y¨) for the whole system is wrong. The left side is off by a factor of 2.

8. Aug 26, 2014 #7
    So I think this post is dead but I'll give it a shot and try to revive it. I'm sorry if it seems inappropriate but I must also check my answer to this problem

Here is my my analysis:

##2T+N_{scaffold}-M_{parinter}g=M_{painter}a_{painter}##

##2T-N_{painter}-m_{scaffold}g=m_{scaffold}a_{scaffold}##

since ##a_{painter}=a_{scaffold}## and ##N_{painter}=N_{scaffold}## and we can solve for simply ##a## (acceleration of the painter and scaffold) by adding the equations and diving by ##M+m##

##a=\frac{4T-(M+m)g}{M+m}##

Now it turns weird. I can assume by Newton's Third Law that ##F## of the painter should create an equal and opposite tension on the rope, yielding

##a=\frac{4F-(M+m)g}{M+m}##

which agrees with the clue given in the book, but I'm a little hesitant with this since I feel the scaffold (and the painter just by standing on it) must somehow also be affecting the tension.

Any help?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted