Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Painting a Chess/Checker Board

1. May 27, 2006 #1
    Anyone ever do this? I am currently working on a project to paint a Chess/Checker Board onto my desk, but I am looking for some ideas on how to paint the actual pattern for the board. I have already sanded down the area of the desk, and am going to paint a 17" square area white (.5" boarder around with 2" squares). I then plan on painting the black squares over the white, sound OK? However, I am looking for ideas about the best way to paint the black squares. Any ideas there, comments?

Some things to keep in mind, I want every square to be the same size, so I can't just make an actual stencil of the board, and then paint over it, as (imo) I would need to cut out the squares, and they could end up going all over the place (because there will be nothing connecting the squares, since I want them all to be equal).
    However, I was thinking about the idea of making an entire row and then I would actually be able to make it one nice piece, but I would then have to move the piece 7 times to actually finish the board, which, imo, is a reasonable option. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2006 #2
    how about you paint it in white, then draw a grid with a ruler, very neatly and then paint every second square in black? The last step is to show me a picture of a finished work ;)

4. May 27, 2006 #3
    I guess I should have said this in my original post, I am using spray paint. So I don't think I could paint every other square without covering the portions of white that are to not be painted. Thus I am trying to find the best method of covering the white squares.

5. May 28, 2006 #4
    Paint it white, then, use a computer-guided CO2 laser to burn in black squares in the correct positions. With lasers, you can be very precise.

6. May 28, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You actually can make a stencil.

Your stencil is a grid made of 5 horizontal and 5 vertical strips, each 2" X 16", separated by 2". This grid will cover 75% of the area of the board.

First you paint the entire board white. Then you place the grid on it correctly, and paint in half of the black squares. Then you move your grid diagonally by one step and paint the other half of the black squares.

PS : Wait for the paint to dry between steps.

7. May 28, 2006 #6

Mk

Do the one with the lasers!! RAHGGG!! LASERS!!

8. May 28, 2006 #7
    Awesome Idea!!!!!! Thanks!

9. May 28, 2006 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correction : I believe those strips want to be 2" X 20"...but you can figure that out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?