Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Painting (continued): questions

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1
    :smile: Okay, so I have primed the room. One gallon got me one full coat. I can still see some of the original light blue through the white primer. I am going to paint it light brown...like a "toasted cashew" color.

Do I need a second coat of primer?

This is the desired color.

This is the current color. (Before priming)

Also...you know that ever-so-slightly 'textured' look that a roller leaves? You know...it's slightly 'bubbly'....

Is there any way to avoid this? It seems unprofessional looking to me;not that I'm a pro. I just think it could look better.

How do pros get a smooth finish? Is it the quality/material of the roller I am using?

Thanks for your opinions! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2008 #2
    The bubbly look is called stippling, it comes from layers of paint applied with a roller. The only way to remove it is to sand it off before you paint, and then use a foam roller or spray gun.

I personally would add another coat of primer, so you don't end up with a greenish shadow cast with the new color{blue+yellow=green}. I have even got primer tinted the same hue as my paint, after a disaster of, shall we call it, sea foam gray:yuck:

4. Aug 5, 2008 #3
    Thanks! So, a foam roller is a better roller than the traditional 'poly-whatever' ones that I usually get.

I just 'buzzed' over the original walls with a palm sander. It appears it would be a lot of work to get all that stippling out:eek:

Edit: I Googled 'stippling' and it appears that people do this on purpose?

5. Aug 5, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Yes. People buy rollers that are designed to leave textures in the finish, and there are paints that not only stipple well, but that also develop additional texture as they
    dry.

6. Aug 5, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some stippling is normal, but if you're getting too much, try a smoother roller. Maybe yours is too fluffy. The fluffier, the more stippling you'll get. You might also be running over an area too many times. If you run the roller over an area that is already painted but not yet dry, just "tacky," you'll get pretty heavy stippling that won't look nice. It's better to apply thinner coats, let each dry completely, then go over with additional coats as needed. Don't worry about missed spots the first time around, that's what second coats are for.

And, yes, I agree with hypatia that if you're trying to change a color dramatically, either from much darker to lighter or much lighter to darker, it's best to tint the primer to match the new color more closely. It'll make it that much easier to paint the new color over it without discoloration or needing as many coats since primer is much cheaper than the real paint.

7. Aug 5, 2008 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The advantage of stippling or any othert texturing, BTW, is that it hides a host of imperfections. Unless your drywalling technique is expert-level, a smooth coat will show every bump, curve, patch and screw.

8. Aug 5, 2008 #7
    Cool. I'll trying tinting the primer for my next room on the list as I have already started this one.

I'll also try thinner layers. I do have a tendency to go over an area a little too much even though I know I shouldn't. :redface: Why do I do that?!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?