Painting half a house black in Quebec

• Thread starter WolfishGrin
  • Start date
In summary, based on thermodynamics, Alice should paint the southern half of her house black and the northern half white in order to minimize heating costs in Quebec. This decision takes into consideration the overall heating and cooling needs of the region, as well as the absorptive and radiative qualities of black and white. Additionally, it is suggested to purchase the paint from a French-owned store to avoid any potential discrimination.
WolfishGrin

Homework Statement

Alice lives in the Quebec. She wishes to build a new home and paint one-half of the outside black and the other half white. She can either split the house east-west or north-south. State which half she should paint white and which half she should paint black in order to minimize heating costs and explain this decision based on thermodynamics.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Right now, I'm basically lost as to where to start. I know the sun rises in the east and settles in the west, so I am guessing I'm going to split the house east-west. Now, which side is better? I think Quebec would be colder when the sun is rising than when the sun is setting, so my best bet is that I should paint the east black to bring more radiation heat into the house.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, consider whether overall heating, or overall cooling is more important in Quebec.

Then consider not only the absorptive qualities of black vs white, but the radiative qualities as well.

I changed my mind.

Since Queec is way north of the equator, the southern half of the house should be painted black. It will receive maximum sun exposure all day as opposed to only half the day (east/west), whereas the northern half should be painted white because it will reciev eminimal sun exposure.

WolfishGrin said:
I changed my mind.

Since Queec is way north of the equator, the southern half of the house should be painted black. It will receive maximum sun exposure all day as opposed to only half the day (east/west), whereas the northern half should be painted white because it will reciev eminimal sun exposure.

That's what I would do. Furthermore, why bother painting the north side white? Why not paint it black? There is a reason, and I alluded to it in my previous post.

Remember to buy your paint in a French owned store, though, if you wish to appear non-discriminatory. :smile:

arildno said:
Remember to buy your paint in a French owned store, though, if you wish to appear non-discriminatory. :smile:
Haha. :biggrin:

Thanks for the help, Chi. :) I'm only allowed to paint one half black, and one half has to be white. It's a strange question. I appreciate the second opinion. :)

1. Can I paint half of my house black in Quebec?

Yes, you can paint half of your house black in Quebec. However, you may need to check with your local government or homeowners association for any restrictions or regulations.

2. Do I need a permit to paint half of my house black in Quebec?

In most cases, you will not need a permit to paint half of your house black in Quebec. However, it is always best to check with your local government to ensure you are following any necessary guidelines.

3. Will painting half of my house black affect my property value in Quebec?

Painting half of your house black may affect your property value in Quebec. Some potential buyers may be turned off by the color choice, while others may find it unique and appealing. It is best to consider the overall aesthetic of your neighborhood and consult with a real estate agent for their professional opinion.

4. What type of paint should I use for painting half of my house black in Quebec?

For painting the exterior of your house, it is recommended to use an exterior paint specifically designed for the material of your house (e.g. wood, stucco, brick). It is also important to choose a high-quality paint that will withstand the harsh weather conditions of Quebec.

5. Are there any benefits to painting half of my house black in Quebec?

Painting half of your house black can have several benefits. Black is a bold and dramatic color that can make your house stand out and give it a unique and modern look. It can also help to absorb heat, making your house more energy-efficient in colder climates like Quebec.