What Is the Probability A Rolls a Winning Sum in Dice Game?

In summary, the problem deals with A and B taking turns rolling a pair of dice. The game ends when either A rolls a sum of 9 or B rolls a sum of 6. The question asks for the probability that the final roll is made by A, assuming A rolls first. The solution involves rewriting the events in English, understanding the sample space, and using the pattern of the first few steps to develop a formula for the entire game.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A and B alternate rolling a pair of dice, stopping either when A rolls the sum 9 or when B rolls the sum 6. Assuming that A rolls first, find the probability that the final roll is made by A.

The Attempt at a Solution

A rolls a sum 9 on each roll with prob 1/9
B rolls a sum 6 on each roll with prob 5/36

Given that A wins, he will win on an odd number of turns. (since A starts)

Let E be the event that the game finishes on an odd number of turns
Then P(E) = (1/9)(1-5/36)(1/9)(1-5/36)...

Where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi CAF123! :smile:
CAF123 said:
Let E be the event that the game finishes on an odd number of turns
Then P(E) = (1/9)(1-5/36)(1/9)(1-5/36)...

No, that's the probability that A wins on every throw, but generously pretends that he didn't, because he wants to let B win. o:)

Try again. :smile:

Hi tinytim.
Can you give me a hint to start?

Try ∑ P(Wn)

where Wn is the event of A winning on his nth throw.

tiny-tim said:
Try ∑ P(Wn)

where Wn is the event of A winning on his nth throw.
The event that A wins on his turn is just 1/9. What does this sum represent?

CAF123 said:
The event that A wins on his turn is just 1/9.

That's P(W1).

What's P(W2) ?​

tiny-tim said:
That's P(W1).

What's P(W2) ?​
I thought that the probability of A winning on any of his turns is 1/9. Is this not correct?
If not, why not? Surely whether A wins is dependent only on what he throws and not B's result.
Or did I misunderstand something?

CAF123 said:
I thought that the probability of A winning on any of his turns is 1/9.

no, that's the probability of A winning on say his 10th turn, given that neither A nor B has already won

1/9 = P(Wn | neither A nor B has already won before the nth turn)

you want P(Wn)

for example, P(W2) is 1/9 times the probability that neither A nor B won on their first throws …

that's obviosuly less than 1/9 ! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
no, that's the probability of A winning on say his 10th turn, given that neither A nor B has already won

1/9 = P(Wn | neither A nor B has already won before the nth turn)

you want P(Wn)

for example, P(W2) is 1/9 times the probability that neither A nor B won on their first throws …

that's obviosuly less than 1/9 ! :wink:
Ok, I think I understand now.
So P(W2) = (1/9)(1-1/9)(1-5/36)
P(W3) = (1/9)(1-1/9)^2 (1-5/36)^2..

Can I write this as [tex] \frac{1}{9} \sum_{i}^{∞} (\frac{8}{9})^i \sum_{i}^{∞} (\frac{31}{36})^i [/tex]

In order that P win on the first turn, he must roll a 9. The probability of that is 1/9. In order that P win on the second turn, he must roll anything except a 9 on the first roll, B must roll anything but a 6, and P must roll a 9 on. The probability of that is (8/9)(31/36)(1/9)= (2/9)(31/9)(1/9)= 62/729.

On anyone turn, the probability that P does NOT roll a 9 and B does NOT roll a 6 is (8/9)(31/36)= 62/81. In order that P win on the nth turn both P and B must NOT roll the correct number the previous n- 1 turns and P must roll a 9 on the last turn- the probability of that is (62/81)n-1(1/9).

(type "\left(" and "\right)", and they come out the correct size :wink:)

almost :smile:

that's not the same as [itex] \frac{1}{9} \sum_{i}^{∞} \left(\frac{8}{9}\frac{31}{36}\right)^i [/itex] is it?

(and starting at i = … ?)

tiny-tim said:
(type "\left(" and "\right)", and they come out the correct size :wink:)

almost :smile:

that's not the same as [itex] \frac{1}{9} \sum_{i}^{∞} \left(\frac{8}{9}\frac{31}{36}\right)^i [/itex] is it?

(and starting at i = … ?)
i would start at 1 here. Many thanks again for your help. Can I ask, in general, what advice you would offer when tackling probability problems. It is by far the hardest course I am doing this semester and I feel I have difficulties starting the problems, what area of probability to apply etc.. Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

(isn't it i = 0?)

Probability problems are usually solved by rewriting the events in English first, so that you know clearly what the events are.

Then you can start translating them into maths. :smile:

CAF123 said:
i would start at 1 here. Many thanks again for your help. Can I ask, in general, what advice you would offer when tackling probability problems. It is by far the hardest course I am doing this semester and I feel I have difficulties starting the problems, what area of probability to apply etc.. Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

Often it is best to forget formulas for a while and concentrate on understanding the nature of the "sample space" underlying the problem. In this case, it would help to write down the first few instances where A wins:
Step 1: A wins---stop
Step 1: A does not win; go to step 2
Step 2: B does not win; go to step 3
Step 3: A wins---stop
Step 3: A does not win; go to step 4
Step 4: B does not win; go to step 5
Step 5: A wins--stop
Step 5: A does not win; go to step 6
etc., etc.

For these first few steps it is easy enough to write out the probabilities associated with the outcomes "A wins", and you can use the revealed pattern to develop a formula for the entire game.

RGV

1. What is the probability of rolling a pair of dice and getting a total sum of 7?

The probability of rolling a pair of dice and getting a total sum of 7 is 1/6 or approximately 16.67%. This is because there are 6 possible outcomes (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7) out of a total of 36 possible outcomes when rolling two dice.

2. How many outcomes are possible when rolling a pair of dice?

There are 36 possible outcomes when rolling a pair of dice. This is because there are 6 possible outcomes for the first die (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6) and 6 possible outcomes for the second die, resulting in 6 x 6 = 36 total outcomes.

3. What is the probability of rolling a pair of dice and getting a total sum of 12?

The probability of rolling a pair of dice and getting a total sum of 12 is 1/36 or approximately 2.78%. This is because there is only one possible outcome (6 and 6) out of a total of 36 possible outcomes when rolling two dice.

4. How does the probability change when using more than two dice?

When using more than two dice, the probability of getting a certain total sum changes. For example, when rolling three dice, the probability of getting a total sum of 7 increases to 6/36 or approximately 16.67%. This is because there are now 6 possible outcomes (1, 1, 5), (1, 2, 4), (1, 3, 3), (2, 2, 3), (2, 3, 2), and (3, 3, 1) out of a total of 216 possible outcomes.

5. How can probability be used in games that involve dice?

Probability can be used in games that involve dice to calculate the likelihood of certain outcomes and make strategic decisions based on those probabilities. For example, in the game of craps, players can use the probabilities of different total sums to determine which bets have a higher chance of winning. In this way, understanding probability can give players an advantage in games involving dice.