What Is the Minimum Photon Energy Needed to Produce a Proton-Antiproton Pair?

• Thread starter PhyzicsOfHockey
  • Start date
In summary, to produce a proton-antiproton pair, the minimum photon energy required would be equal to twice the rest energy of a proton, or approximately 1.88 GeV in SI units. The equation used to calculate this is E^2=p^2c^2+m^2c^4, where m is the rest mass of the particle. The mass of a photon is zero, but its momentum is not, making it a key factor in determining the required energy.
PhyzicsOfHockey

Homework Statement

How much photon energy would be required to produce a proton-antiproton pair? Give the answer in SI units.

Homework Equations

E^2=p^2c^2+m^2c^4
E=pc+pc
p=mc
E=2*m*c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I seem to be confused I know the KE would be zero I also know this would not exist in real life but I need to find the min energy so KE of the photon pairs is 0. I am not sure if the equation has to do with the mass of a photon or the momentum of the photons. In either case I don't know what the mass of a photon would be. I read it was zero but can't figure out how to use this formula then.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok... mass of a photon is zero... I think we all know that. But its momentum is not... we can agree on that too I think. Now, your key equation is
[tex]E^2=p^2 c^2+m^2 c^4[\tex]
where m here is the rest mass of your particle, p is its momentum and E is its total energy. To do your question: remember 4-momentum is conserved...etc

The equation E=2*m*c^2 is the correct equation to use for pair production, where m is the mass of the particle being produced (in this case, the proton or antiproton). Since the mass of a photon is essentially zero, you can use this equation to solve for the minimum energy required.

First, we need to determine the mass of a proton and antiproton. In SI units, the mass of a proton is approximately 1.67 x 10^-27 kg. Using this value in the equation, we get:

E = 2 * (1.67 x 10^-27 kg) * (3 x 10^8 m/s)^2

Simplifying, we get:

E = 3.006 x 10^-10 J

Therefore, the minimum energy required to produce a proton-antiproton pair is approximately 3.006 x 10^-10 Joules.

What is pair-production?

Pair-production is a process in which a particle spontaneously transforms into two particles with equal mass and opposite charge. This process is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics and is often observed in high-energy particle collisions.

What are some common problems encountered in pair-production experiments?

Some common problems encountered in pair-production experiments include low production rates, background noise, and difficulty in distinguishing between the produced particles and other particles in the environment.

What is the significance of pair-production in particle physics?

Pair-production is significant in particle physics as it allows scientists to study the properties and interactions of fundamental particles. It also helps in understanding the fundamental forces that govern the universe.

What are some techniques used to overcome pair-production problems?

Scientists use various techniques to overcome pair-production problems, such as increasing the energy of the particles involved in the collision, using precise detectors to distinguish between particles, and reducing background noise through shielding and filtering techniques.

How is pair-production related to antimatter production?

Pair-production and antimatter production are closely related processes. In pair-production, a particle and its antiparticle are created, while in antimatter production, the production of only antiparticles occurs. Both processes involve the conversion of energy into matter and antimatter pairs.