1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pair-Production problems

1. Feb 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How much photon energy would be required to produce a proton-antiproton pair? Give the answer in SI units.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I seem to be confused I know the KE would be zero I also know this would not exist in real life but I need to find the min energy so KE of the photon pairs is 0. I am not sure if the equation has to do with the mass of a photon or the momentum of the photons. In either case I don't know what the mass of a photon would be. I read it was zero but can't figure out how to use this formula then.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

ok... mass of a photon is zero... I think we all know that. But its momentum is not... we can agree on that too I think. Now, your key equation is
    [tex]E^2=p^2 c^2+m^2 c^4[\tex]
    where m here is the rest mass of your particle, p is its momentum and E is its total energy. To do your question: remember 4-momentum is conserved.....etc
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?