Paired Equations: Unique, No, or Infinite Solutions?

• Thread starter elfy
  • Start date
In summary, there are an infinite number of solutions for equations B) and C), while there is a unique solution for equation A).
elfy

Homework Statement

For each of the following equations, without attempting to solve them, determine whether there exists (1) a unique solution, (2) no solution or (3) an infinite # of solutions

Homework Equations

A) x+y =1 , x=y
B) y=x/2 - 1 , 2y = x-2
C) x+y = 1, x+y = 10

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to solve this without trying to solve the equations. Are there some types of general guidelines in terms of the number of solutions? For instance in A) I would say there is 1 solution (x,y = 0,5) but that's just because I tried solving it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Geometrically, two distinct lines either intersect or are parallel. If they intersect there is a unique point of intersection, if they are parallel, there is none. Which of those equations correspond to parallel lines? (Look at the slopes.)

Of course, if the two different equations really give the same line, then there are an infinite number of solutions- every point on that line. Which of those pairs of equation really just define one line?

First of all - Thank you for your time and help!

Trying to determine the number of solutions based on what you explained, I think that B) is the same line. Although I'm not sure if I cheated because although I did not solve anything, I just saw that if you solve the second equation wrt Y, you got the same equation as the first one. Is this allowed? :) Thus, B) has an infinite amount of solutions.

In C) we get 2 straight lines (if I have done this correctly) and they intersect once - so 1 solution for C).

Regarding A I also think that it's 2 straight lines which intersect at 0.5 - so a unique solution?

I hope that I haven't completely missunderstood?

Again thanks for your time!

elfy said:
In C) we get 2 straight lines (if I have done this correctly) and they intersect once - so 1 solution for C).

Where do they intersect?

elfy said:
Yes, they are two straight lines, but why do you think they intersect? Are you just guessing?

Sorry, my bad!

The two lines run parallell to each other, intersecting Y at 1 and 10, thus there is no solution!
is that correct? :) It was not my intention to guess, I just got it wrong last night hehe.

However, it says "without attempting to solve the equations" but I need to draw the graphs in order to see what they look like. Is there some other way of doing it, as I kind of am solving them I suppose, or atleast doing something with them (sketching the graphs on a piece of paper) and I don't know if that's cheating or not :)

Thank you all for your help and patience with me! :)

elfy said:
Sorry, my bad!

The two lines run parallell to each other, intersecting Y at 1 and 10, thus there is no solution!
is that correct? :) It was not my intention to guess, I just got it wrong last night hehe.

However, it says "without attempting to solve the equations" but I need to draw the graphs in order to see what they look like. Is there some other way of doing it, as I kind of am solving them I suppose, or atleast doing something with them (sketching the graphs on a piece of paper) and I don't know if that's cheating or not :)

Thank you all for your help and patience with me! :)

One way to tell that there is no solution is that the two equations are incompatible. You can't have x+y=10 and x+y=1 simultaneously because 1 is not equal to 10. :-)

Ahh that makes sense - Thanks! :)

So you are allowed to alter the equations (for instance in B) solving for Y, yields the same equation)?

I initially thought that you had to just look at them without doing anything, and just be able to see how many solutions there were hehe

elfy said:
So you are allowed to alter the equations (for instance in B) solving for Y, yields the same equation)?
Sure, why not? I think in the Algebra 1 book that I use, it says that for these types of problems, rewrite the equations in slope-intercept form. Then it's pretty straightforward to see how many solutions a system has.

Thanks for clearing that up! :)

I really appreciate all the help and guidence you have given me! Thanks for your time and effort!

1. What are paired equations?

Paired equations, also known as simultaneous equations, are a system of two or more equations that have multiple variables and must be solved together to find the values of those variables.

2. How do you solve paired equations?

There are several methods for solving paired equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. The most commonly used method is substitution, where one equation is solved for one variable and that solution is then substituted into the other equation to solve for the remaining variable.

3. Can paired equations have more than two variables?

Yes, paired equations can have any number of variables as long as there are the same number of equations. For example, three equations with three variables would form a system of paired equations.

4. Are there any special cases when solving paired equations?

Yes, there are a few special cases to be aware of when solving paired equations. These include when the equations are inconsistent (have no solution) or dependent (have infinite solutions), and when one equation is a multiple of the other, making them equivalent and resulting in an infinite number of solutions.

5. How are paired equations used in real life?

Paired equations are used in many real-life applications, such as in physics to solve for unknown forces or in economics to find the equilibrium point. They can also be used to model and solve various problems in engineering, business, and other fields.