Reasons for Pakistan's Involvement with Terrorists and US Response

• News
  • Thread starter vjk2
  • Start date
In summary, Pakistan is a country with a complex history and relationship with the United States. They fear India, and use militant Islamic groups as tools to keep tensions high. The military and government benefit from this relationship, as does the business community. If the United States suspends all military aid to Pakistan, the government would be forced to change its ways or face collapse.
vjk2
I find it impossible to believe that Bin Laden was able to live for five years in the Pakistani West Point without any collusion with the government or military. He even traveled to and fro in that period, from Abbottobad to Tora Bora and back in 2007.

The reason that pakistan does this I think is out of a real fear of India. So in the back of their minds they view the Taliban and other militant islamic groups as possible assets in the next war with India. But also, I think that the ruling class gets its status and power through stoking fears of India. Otherwise, there really is no reason for Pakistan to exist. On a societal level they are similar.

I think it is a no-brainer for the US to suspend all military aid to Pakistan. This would deprive the military of much of the resources that it uses to choke the rest of the country. The military is much like Egypt: it runs businesses which intrude on the private sector. It also self-justifies itself by unnecessarily heightening tensions with India.

Physics news on Phys.org
vjk2 said:
I find it impossible to believe that Bin Laden was able to live for five years in the Pakistani West Point without any collusion with the government or military. He even traveled to and fro in that period, from Abbottobad to Tora Bora and back in 2007.

The reason that pakistan does this I think is out of a real fear of India. So in the back of their minds they view the Taliban and other militant islamic groups as possible assets in the next war with India. But also, I think that the ruling class gets its status and power through stoking fears of India. Otherwise, there really is no reason for Pakistan to exist. On a societal level they are similar.

I think it is a no-brainer for the US to suspend all military aid to Pakistan. This would deprive the military of much of the resources that it uses to choke the rest of the country. The military is much like Egypt: it runs businesses which intrude on the private sector. It also self-justifies itself by unnecessarily heightening tensions with India.

That is exactly why they harbor terrorists and support the Taliban.

The problem is, if the U.S. cuts aid then Pakistan will stop letting us bomb them with our drones. The hypocrisy is worth enduring to the U.S. so long as we can continue our drone campaigns on Pakistani soil.

Once we're out of Afghanistan and we don't need Pakistan, U.S - Pakistan relations will shrivel very quickly.

Another major problem when dealing with Pakistan right now is that the supply routes we use to transport supplies to U.S. troops in Afghanistan are located in Pakistan. So we can't necessarilly just cut off aid to Pakistan. We also don't want their government to fall to the terrorists either, as Pakistan is nuclear-armed.

Ok. Please let write thinking takes place inorder to achieve the write decisions.I am not american and not Pakistani, but i think the previous paragraphes are very far from reality. Firts of all thanks god that this terrorism source Bin laden has benn shut down and hopefully soon the rest of alQaeda will collapse which wil be very safer for the world. Beofr every thing let's take in consideration what we always knew :
-Pakistan is a third world country where corruption,poor, some times nonjustice , are very common.
-Pakistan is the neiborhood of Afghanistan with difficult geography which doen help no regular army to win a war there.
-Pakistani ,goverment and opposition, know they need to be allie with US, not only to maitain agiant tension with India but also for development and economic issues.
- CIA and US security foces work widely in Pakistan with cooperation from Pakistani security
- alQaeda made many many attacks againt Pakistan people, police mand, politicians and they call the P.goverment ( the infidel and betrias)
Let see what is hapaning:
- Bin Laden found in Pakistan
-The P.goverment says they will make invistigations and they defend them self
-THe opposition, both modern and extremist, blame P.gov for the USc intervention in Pakistan terretory with no permission.
what can US do:

-"If your friend can't help -for any raison - through him"in politica that could be done .
- Making better work and seek better understanding with P.goverment with a change of strategy.
The firts choice can not be done, believe it,because it only will bring consequences a person with limit imagination can not realize.
the second choice is what Us needs to do. the P.gov is embarresd rite now, let some time and enter in serious descussions with them, that only will help.It is no good that P.gov turn an ennemy of US.Pakistan is a very strong US allie,that alliation is much more imporatant even critical for Us than for Pakistan.
I am quite confident that Obama and Hilary and vice president will deal good with this crisis. Even with defficulties and complecation which come from the fact that both in US ans in Pakistan this issu is used by opposition for critics.
Yet I think the strategy of Us in afghanistan since 2001 is a complet mass I believ the change of strtegy should come relatively slowly and losin allies should never be part of the plan.
I am citizen of a country who suuferd from religious groups,we entered in war with them for 10 years.200 000 innocent were dead.You're klinton adminitration and europe refused to coaperate with our gov,only russia sold us arms, and why the west refused to sale. us arms?, because there are no agreements, such agreements would be made only after recognising Israel.Even that, I do not blame them for what happen in my country I only want to say I'll fill it deep and real insult if some one says that we support terorism! I think I understant the fiiling of P.gov and people

Can anyone explain why the damaged US helicopter has not been air-lifted out of Pakistan?

what is there to explain? It's impossible. The pakistanis would view it as an act of war and shoot down any aircraft coming for it.

So it was blown up.

The problem in Pakistan IMO is that it is way too militarized.

vjk2 said:
what is there to explain? It's impossible. The pakistanis would view it as an act of war and shoot down any aircraft coming for it.

So it was blown up.

The problem in Pakistan IMO is that it is way too militarized.

Let's think about that for a moment. Are you suggesting the Pakistani military would shoot down US aircraft on a salvage mission?

WhoWee said:
Let's think about that for a moment. Are you suggesting the Pakistani military would shoot down US aircraft on a salvage mission?

yes. they have stated they would

vjk2 said:
yes. they have stated they would

Do you have a link please?

vjk2 said:

He did not say he would shoot down US aircraft. From your link:

"The statement by the army’s press office said, “Any similar action violating the sovereignty of Pakistan will warrant a review on the level of military/intelligence cooperation with the United States.”"

I didn't see any reference to a salvage operation - or a threat to shoot down US aircraft. Will you clarify please?

WhoWee said:
Can anyone explain why the damaged US helicopter has not been air-lifted out of Pakistan?

The Chinese, apparently, want to take the remaining parts of the aircraft that are large enough to matter back to chinatown to investigate.

That, and little children like to have memorabilia.

http://nation.foxnews.com/crashed-helicopter/2011/05/10/pakistan-holds-us-helicopter-hostage-we-might-let-them-chinese-take-lo

http://www.thehotjoints.com/2011/05...na-asking-to-see-us-stealth-helicopter-parts/

etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The remaining part of the helicopter is probably not so urgent, or we would have already bombed it from the stratosphere.

Lichdar said:
The remaining part of the helicopter is probably not so urgent, or we would have already bombed it from the stratosphere.

I find it unbelievable that we haven't sent a salvage operation into retrieve it. We give Pakistan over $3 Billion per year. Is the President showing extreme weakness in this matter - as everyone celebrates his success?

What is the point to salvage a destroyed helicopter? For parts?

khemist said:
What is the point to salvage a destroyed helicopter? For parts?

it's the latest technology. quiet, stealthy. people want to reverse engineer it, so that they can incorporate tech into their own helicopters, or defend against it.

Pakistan is NOT the problem. Yes, it is true that Osama was found and killed there, but did Pakistan do any other damage to the U.S? People all over are blaming the whole country of Pakistan all because of one person. Osama is dead, forget him, if people loathe him so much, they should forget about him, his not even worth the thought. Some of you might say that he killed a lot of people, but, living and remembering the past will get us nowhere and it will create more doubt and more hatred towards one another. If the U.S pushes it to far, U.S will ruin a numerous of innocent lives in Pakistan who were dragged into this conflict. Do we want to pay more money to get rid of Pakistan? We already have a crisis of our own to resolve first. If people think about it, Pakistan is just a poor, third world country; and Pakistan as well as all the Middle East countries, need help. If U.S does anything too rash, U.S will become an enemy to other nations.

Necro post much?

Dotini said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-closes-borders-to-Nato-after-air-strike.html

Pakistan's interior minister is reported to announce permanently closing its borders to NATO supply routes into Afghanistan.

This news is very new and as yet unconfirmed. Also, very little is ever truly permanent.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

I also came across these troubles two days ago:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3635084&postcount=207

There was also recently news about the Pakistan ambassador resigning:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-15838839

I feel like either Pakistan civilian government will stop helping Nato or it will break down because of unpopularity and Pakistan will go into chaos. Nato should be very cautious about carrying out these border missions.

rootX said:
I also came across these troubles two days ago:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3635084&postcount=207

There was also recently news about the Pakistan ambassador resigning:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-15838839

I feel like either Pakistan civilian government will stop helping Nato or it will break down because of unpopularity and Pakistan will go into chaos. Nato should be very cautious about carrying out these border missions.

That was not an unprovoked attack ,it was in retaliation to pakistani soldiers firing from the border,
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/afghan-officials%3A-gunfire-from-pakistan-led-to-attack
but paksitan denies

it is not something new ,they do that in the border with India as well,
Loc

northern supply lines into afghanistan have also come under attack recently

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia-pacific/reports-blast-hits-uzbekistan-railroad-used-for-supplying-us-troops-in-afghanistan/2011/11/20/gIQAtdKidN_story.html

BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan — Uzbekistan media have reported an explosion on a railway line on the Central Asian nation’s border with Afghanistan.

The rail route lies on a distribution network used for the supply of goods to United States troops serving in Afghanistan, but the cause of the blast was unclear.

What is the history behind Pakistan's involvement with terrorists?

Pakistan's involvement with terrorists can be traced back to the Soviet-Afghan War in the 1980s. The Pakistani government, with support from the United States, trained and armed Islamist mujahideen fighters to resist the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. After the war ended, many of these fighters returned to Pakistan and formed militant groups, some of which later became involved in terrorist activities.

Why does Pakistan continue to support and harbor terrorist groups?

There are several reasons for Pakistan's continued support and harboring of terrorist groups. Firstly, there is a long-standing rivalry and enmity with India, and Pakistan sees these militant groups as a way to counter India's influence. Additionally, these groups can be used as proxies in conflicts with neighboring countries. Furthermore, some elements within the Pakistani government and military may have their own agendas and ties to these terrorist groups.

How has the US responded to Pakistan's involvement with terrorists?

The US response to Pakistan's involvement with terrorists has been mixed. On one hand, the US has provided billions of dollars in aid and military assistance to Pakistan, in an effort to combat extremism and terrorism. On the other hand, the US has also put pressure on Pakistan to crack down on terrorist groups operating within its borders, and has carried out drone strikes and other military operations against these groups.

What are the consequences of Pakistan's involvement with terrorists?

The consequences of Pakistan's involvement with terrorists have been significant. It has led to the loss of innocent lives and destabilization of the region. It has also strained relations with neighboring countries and the international community. Furthermore, Pakistan has faced economic and diplomatic consequences, including being placed on the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) grey list for failing to take sufficient action against terrorist financing.

Is there a solution to Pakistan's involvement with terrorists?

Finding a solution to Pakistan's involvement with terrorists is a complex and ongoing issue. It will require a combination of efforts, including addressing root causes such as poverty and political instability, improving governance and cracking down on corruption, and increasing cooperation and intelligence sharing between countries. Additionally, it is important for the international community to continue to hold Pakistan accountable for its actions and provide support and resources to combat extremism and terrorism.