Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Palatine Hill crumbling away

1. Feb 18, 2006 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2006 #2

Tsu

Gold Member

I saw that yesterday. It is VERY sad. :cry:

4. Feb 18, 2006 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Sad indeed, but it's a tad naive to think that ruins can be kept in a perfact state of (dis)repair forever. They are after all, ruins.

5. Feb 18, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sic transit gloria mundi..

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  6. Feb 18, 2006 #5
    Venice is sinking too. I will provide international shelter for all the displaced Italian women :cool:

7. Feb 18, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's a fair idea that they mentioned at the end of the article, to charging admission to more of the ruins/historical sites in Rome. It does cost money to keep them restored, and it seems reasonable to ask the people who enjoy seeing them and wish to keep them restored to pay a fee to help. A very modest fee for admission would probably go a long way given the number of visitors they get.

8. Feb 18, 2006 #7
    Purgatio is est non problem.It est toruist they postulo ut terminus amount populus ut adveho illic ut is won't exsisto ut pessime damagedCleaning is est non problem.It est toruist they postulo ut terminus amount populus ut adveho illic ut is won't exsisto ut pessime miniatus
    :uhh:

9. Feb 18, 2006 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Roman ruins are of world wide interest, it seems like a world wide send a dime or penney to save Rome campaign ought to be considered. Actually the same goes for Chinese, Greek, Egyptian or other ancient civilizations.

10. Feb 18, 2006 #9

turbo

Gold Member

All Italian women under the age of 30, or perhaps all the Italian women under the weight of 120, 130 or somewhat? Think it through, lest you become host to a bevy of slight 70-90 year olds, all doting on you and calling you "bambino".

11. Feb 18, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, not sure how much use dimes and pennies would be in Italy, but if they can use my jar of pennies, they're welcome to it. :rofl: I'd be generous enough to convert my donation to Euros. I agree, that the relics of ancient civilizations are of interest to all people, and we could all chip in a bit to help the "host" countries with restoration efforts. I would think if they ran a fundraising drive in conjunction with some major museums all over the world, they'd be able to afford those restorations before it's too far gone to be salvagable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?