Can the World Save Palatine Hill from Crumbling Away?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hill
In summary, the author sees the Roman ruins as a source of sadness, because they know that they will one day fall into disrepair. He also thinks that it's important to charge people for the privilege of visiting these sites, in order to help to fund their restoration. He also agrees that the relics of ancient civilizations are of interest to all people, and that all of us could chip in to help these countries with restoration efforts.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
This is just sad..:frown:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/02/17/palatine.ruins.reut/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I saw that yesterday. It is VERY sad. :cry:

Sad indeed, but it's a tad naive to think that ruins can be kept in a perfact state of (dis)repair forever. They are after all, ruins.

Sic transit gloria mundi..

Last edited:
Venice is sinking too. I will provide international shelter for all the displaced Italian women :cool:

I think it's a fair idea that they mentioned at the end of the article, to charging admission to more of the ruins/historical sites in Rome. It does cost money to keep them restored, and it seems reasonable to ask the people who enjoy seeing them and wish to keep them restored to pay a fee to help. A very modest fee for admission would probably go a long way given the number of visitors they get.

arildno said:
Sic transit gloria mundi..
Purgatio is est non problem.It est toruist they postulo ut terminus amount populus ut adveho illic ut is won't exsisto ut pessime damagedCleaning is est non problem.It est toruist they postulo ut terminus amount populus ut adveho illic ut is won't exsisto ut pessime miniatus
cyrusabdollahi said:
Venice is sinking too. I will provide international shelter for all the displaced Italian women :cool:
:uhh:

The Roman ruins are of world wide interest, it seems like a world wide send a dime or penney to save Rome campaign ought to be considered. Actually the same goes for Chinese, Greek, Egyptian or other ancient civilizations.

cyrusabdollahi said:
All Italian women under the age of 30, or perhaps all the Italian women under the weight of 120, 130 or somewhat? Think it through, lest you become host to a bevy of slight 70-90 year olds, all doting on you and calling you "bambino".

Integral said:
The Roman ruins are of world wide interest, it seems like a world wide send a dime or penney to save Rome campaign ought to be considered. Actually the same goes for Chinese, Greek, Egyptian or other ancient civilizations.
Well, not sure how much use dimes and pennies would be in Italy, but if they can use my jar of pennies, they're welcome to it. :rofl: I'd be generous enough to convert my donation to Euros. I agree, that the relics of ancient civilizations are of interest to all people, and we could all chip in a bit to help the "host" countries with restoration efforts. I would think if they ran a fundraising drive in conjunction with some major museums all over the world, they'd be able to afford those restorations before it's too far gone to be salvagable.

1. What is causing Palatine Hill to crumble away?

The main cause of the deterioration of Palatine Hill is natural weathering and erosion over time. However, factors such as air pollution, water damage, and human activities have also contributed to its crumbling.

2. Is there a risk of collapse for the structures on Palatine Hill?

While there is always a risk of collapse for any structure, the current condition of Palatine Hill does not indicate an imminent danger. However, ongoing efforts are being made to preserve and stabilize the hill to prevent any potential collapse.

3. How is the crumbling of Palatine Hill being addressed?

Various preservation and restoration projects have been implemented to address the deterioration of Palatine Hill. These include stabilization of the slopes, drainage systems to prevent water damage, and monitoring of the structures for any signs of instability.

4. Can visitors still access Palatine Hill despite the crumbling?

Yes, visitors are still able to access Palatine Hill and explore its various structures. However, some areas may be restricted for safety reasons, and visitors are advised to stay on designated paths and follow any instructions from park officials.

5. What can be done to prevent further crumbling of Palatine Hill?

In addition to ongoing preservation efforts, it is important for visitors to be mindful of their actions while on Palatine Hill. This includes not touching or climbing on the structures, as well as properly disposing of any trash to prevent pollution and deterioration of the hill.