Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Palcohol, powdered alcohol

1. Apr 26, 2014 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2014 #2
    Honestly it sounds like a waste of time unless it's easier to ship. Not sure who the target market is for this.

4. Apr 26, 2014 #3

disregardthat

Science Advisor

How much do you need to make a bottle of vodka for example?

5. Apr 26, 2014 #4
    I would bet that you would need as much water as a bottle of vodka, less some of volume for the powder, or rather the amount of alcohol within the powder. Weight saving = none for a decent drink.

I also would bet that their initial marketing was for the partying crowd who are willing to try anything, at least once. Fun aspect = 100%. They may have misplayed that one, since the approval for sale was revoked. My second reaction, after the first, was that this could be extremely dangerous for widespread public use.

What is it? A starch that has the ability to absorb liquid, which in this case would be alcohol. A chemist on the radio compared the starch similar to the fabric in diapers which can absorb many many times their weight, or volume, I am not sure which, of water.

Does added water replace the alcohol within the starch and one then has a ready made flavoured drink, with added starch? I don't know. I heard about this only 2 days ago.

6. Apr 26, 2014 #5

disregardthat

Science Advisor

But apart from the water, how much would the powder itself weigh?

7. Apr 26, 2014 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

1. Minors. It's more compact and easier to hide.
    2. Snorters. This gets you drunk in seconds. It's also likely to kill you, but what the heck? There's a profit to be made!

8. Apr 26, 2014 #7

disregardthat

Science Advisor

It's probably a lot cheaper than conventional alcohol though.

9. Apr 26, 2014 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Doubtful, since it's absorbed conventional alcohol.

10. Apr 26, 2014 #9
    I think the main appeal is that it's flavored, and it would be very easy to make cheap imitation cocktails with it. For dumb kids who can't figure out anything for themselves, this is probably very appealing.

Also, it is definately easier to transport then normal alchohol - people could bring it to sporting games, concerts etc... where normally you're not allowed to bring stuff with you.

11. Apr 26, 2014 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The alcohol content is 60%

No, it's just absorbed alcohol. It's not easier to ship either, unless one wants to hide one is shipping alcohol.

12. Apr 26, 2014 #11

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They tried this with making powdered water, but then you have to add water ...

13. Apr 26, 2014 #12

nsaspook

Science Advisor

It's easy to make at home with N-Zorbit M.

14. Apr 26, 2014 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what the fuss is about, I've never been enticed to drink or snort the 99% or even the 75% alcohol that's available in the lab. People can get hard liquor in stores and abuse that.

15. Apr 26, 2014 #14

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is the USPTO above making an April fool's joke?

It is still April.

Gravy snorters...... (snicker snicker) :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook