Pale Blue Dot Project: Img. Earth-Like Planet w/ 18" Mirror?

In summary, the conversation is about a project called "Project Blue" that is attempting to develop and launch a space telescope dedicated to finding a hospitable planet around Alpha Centauri. The project needs funding and is currently trying to raise $175,000 to define the project and establish industry relationships. The mission is expected to cost $50 million and launch in 2021. The main concern is the telescope's 18" mirror, which some feel is not enough to accurately image an exoplanet. However, NASA is taking the project seriously and has entered into an agreement to support its development.
kolleamm
Apparently there's something called the pale blue dot project that needs funding to image an Earth like planet in a nearby star system. I asked them of the lens diameter and they replied that the telescope will use a 18" mirror. Is that enough resolution wise? Seems a little small when you compare it to James Webb or other planet searching telescopes.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
Apparently there's something called the pale blue dot project
some references to what you have been reading would be good :smile:

Likes 1oldman2
Sorry I think it's called project blue my mistake anyways here is what my question is on.

Attachments

• IMG_4326.PNG
    IMG_4326.PNG
    43.4 KB · Views: 572
Likes 1oldman2
Apparently this is a crowd sourced attempt to develop and launch a space telescope dedicated to finding a hospitable planet around Alpha Centauri.

Join the Search for Another Earth

BoldlyGo Institute

They're currently trying to raise $175,000 to define the project and establish industry relationships. The mission is expected to cost around $50 million and they're projecting a 2021 launch. Seems a bit ambitious to me.

Likes kolleamm
In my opinion though a 18" mirror is not even close to what's needed to image an exoplanet. I'd like to invest in this but I'm fairly skeptical.

1. What is the Pale Blue Dot Project?

The Pale Blue Dot Project is a scientific endeavor that aims to discover and study Earth-like planets in other solar systems. It involves the use of a powerful 18" mirror telescope to capture images of these distant planets.

2. Why is the project called "Pale Blue Dot"?

The project is named after the famous photograph taken by the Voyager 1 spacecraft in 1990, which showed Earth as a tiny pale blue dot in the vastness of space. This serves as a reminder of the fragility and uniqueness of our planet.

3. How does the 18" mirror telescope work?

The 18" mirror telescope uses a large curved mirror to gather and focus light from distant objects. This light is then magnified and focused onto a camera or eyepiece, allowing scientists to capture detailed images and study the characteristics of the planets.

4. What are the potential benefits of the Pale Blue Dot Project?

The Pale Blue Dot Project could potentially lead to the discovery of other habitable planets, which could expand our understanding of the universe and the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It could also provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of other solar systems.

5. How long has the Pale Blue Dot Project been in operation?

The project has been in operation since 2015, when the 18" mirror telescope was first commissioned. However, the concept and research behind the project has been ongoing for many years, and will continue to be a focus of scientific exploration for the foreseeable future.