Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Pale Blue Dot Project

1. Sep 13, 2017 at 12:12 PM #1
    Apparently there's something called the pale blue dot project that needs funding to image an earth like planet in a nearby star system. I asked them of the lens diameter and they replied that the telescope will use a 18" mirror. Is that enough resolution wise? Seems a little small when you compare it to James Webb or other planet searching telescopes.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2017 at 6:13 PM #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

some references to what you have been reading would be good :smile:

4. Sep 13, 2017 at 8:38 PM #3

1oldman2

Gold Member

5. Sep 13, 2017 at 10:57 PM #4
    Sorry I think it's called project blue my mistake anyways here is what my question is on.

Attached Files:

6. Sep 14, 2017 at 8:19 AM #5
    Apparently this is a crowd sourced attempt to develop and launch a space telescope dedicated to finding a hospitable planet around Alpha Centauri.

Join the Search for Another Earth

BoldlyGo Institute

They're currently trying to raise $175,000 to define the project and establish industry relationships. The mission is expected to cost around $50 million and they're projecting a 2021 launch. Seems a bit ambitious to me.

7. Sep 14, 2017 at 1:32 PM #6
    In my opinion though a 18" mirror is not even close to what's needed to image an exoplanet. I'd like to invest in this but I'm fairly skeptical.

8. Sep 14, 2017 at 11:48 PM #7

1oldman2

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted