Paleontology In the Turkana Valley

• Thread starter LURCH
  • Start date
In summary: However, this system would quickly become corrupt, as any local with a good tip could expect a larger reward. It is also difficult to set up and maintain such a system, as it would require a large amount of manpower and funding.
LURCH
Science Advisor
I was just reading an article in this month's SciAm about the difficulties involved in field paleontology in the Turkana Valley, near Kenya. The problem, as I understand it, is that frequent rains uncover new fossil beds, and frequent foot traffic (by livestock herders migrating to fresh grazing grounds) quickly disturb these beds. The "revolutionary solution" that paleontologists have proposed is to set up a permanent camp in the valley, turning the entire area into a year-round dig site. Although this is, indeed, a revolutionary solution, I'm not convinced it is the best solution.

It seems to me that various universities and paleontological societies could begin offering cash rewards to the tribesmen for various sorts of discoveries. If these incentives were kept cheaper than the current cost of field expeditions, the universities (who are always strapped for funding for research) could save substantial amounts, and the locals (many of whom are subsistence farmers, barely making a living) could receive a new source of much-needed income. In this way, the field effort would receive a sudden influx of thousands of highly motivated workers, and fossil beds would become a commodity that the locals work hard to preserve.

Has anyone heard of this solution being attempted in the Turkana Valley area? Does this sound like a workable system? What would you foresee to be the obstacles to the success of such a program?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
problem with that solution is that you cannot do "in-situ" research. Just a bunch of fossil bone of something has much less value than the same bunch of bone in situ, it provides clues for the dating, the environment, possible relationships between fauna's. It's the whole package.

Of course there are many renowned finding places, like the LaBrea tar pits, the Friesenhahn cave, South Dakota hot springs, which have been dedicated for paleontology only.

There may be other ways to have the locals benefit although don't expect the paleontologic budgets to be very generous.

Yes, and that is indeed a problem. In fact, it is exactly this problem that I had in mind when I mentioned "cash rewards for various sorts of discoveries." They could offer money to anyone who can lead them to a previously undiscovered fossil bed; significantly more money if the bed is undisturbed.

Last edited:

1. What is the Turkana Valley and why is it significant to paleontology?

The Turkana Valley is an area in northern Kenya that has been a rich source of fossils for paleontologists. It is significant because it contains a variety of sedimentary rocks and ancient lake beds that have preserved fossils of both hominins and other animals for millions of years.

2. What types of fossils have been found in the Turkana Valley?

Fossils of hominins, or early human ancestors, have been found in the Turkana Valley, including species such as Australopithecus afarensis and Homo habilis. Fossils of other animals, such as ancient elephants, hippos, and crocodiles, have also been discovered.

3. How old are the fossils found in the Turkana Valley?

The fossils found in the Turkana Valley range in age from about 4.2 million years to 200,000 years old. This time span covers a crucial period in human evolution and has provided valuable insights into the origins and development of early humans.

4. What methods do paleontologists use to study fossils in the Turkana Valley?

Paleontologists use a variety of methods to study fossils in the Turkana Valley. These include excavating fossils from the ground, analyzing the geological context of the fossils, and using advanced imaging techniques such as CT scanning and 3D modeling to examine the internal structures of the fossils.

5. What have we learned from paleontology in the Turkana Valley?

The discoveries made in the Turkana Valley have greatly expanded our understanding of human evolution and the diversity of early human species. They have also provided evidence for the environmental and ecological changes that have shaped human evolution and the development of different species. Additionally, paleontology in the Turkana Valley has shed light on the behaviors and adaptations of early humans and other animals, giving us a glimpse into our ancient past.