1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PAM signal with a cosine input

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    sketch the spectrum of the PAM signal S(f) if the input is m(t)=cos(2*pi*fm*t) where fm=3000 at a sampling rate of 10000 using rectangular pulses of duration 0.04ms. in the range +-15Khz

S(f)=H(f)*M'(f)

taking the fourier transform of the rectangular pulse we obtain: H(f)=Tsinc(Tf) where T=0.04ms

and M'(f)= ∫(m(t)*p(t))exp(-i2∏ft)

but p(t) is periodic and so we can use fourier transform to obtain: fsƩexp(i2∏fskt)

fourier transform of M(f) from m(t) is: M(f)=∫(m(t))exp(-i2∏ft)=0.5[δ(f-fm)+δ(f+fm)]

so all together S(f)=M'(f)H(f)=fsT0.5sinc(fT)Ʃ[δ(f-fm-kfs)+δ(f+fm-kfs)]

subbing values in to get: 0.2sinc(0.04e-3f)Ʃ[δ(f-3000-10000k)+δ(f+3000-10000k)]

but how do i plot the frequency spectrum i know that delta functions have infinite amplitude and i am not sure how show the magnitude and frequency components between +-15Khz any help please?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted