Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pancake or cylindrical coil

1. Dec 22, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I'm currently in a dead spot of my mini-project where I've to decide upon the coil shape. I can't find adequate definition of both coils by the means of:
    - size
    - losses
    - frequency range
    - inductance
    - skin depth

which makes it impossible to argue which one would be better.

I'm wondering whatever there is good reading or this aspect should be defined by finite element analysis (using trial version of MagNet)?

In more detail a coil will be used in instrument which uses eddy currents to measure coating thickness.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't specify, so I'll assume that you are measuring material in the shape of a slab, and that the coil will be held over the material like holding a metal detector over the ground. A pancake coil generates a field that is far more spread out and nonuniform, assuming that the spiral starts at the center and is wound uniformly outwards. The solenoid's coil is more concentrated directly underneath the coil. on the other hand, a flat coil can be made to have a more uniform field if you customize the windings , leaving a current-free central disk. Go ahead and model them, then decide which is more desirable for your application.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook