Panic Attacks: Brain Affects & Neuroscientific Explanation

In summary, panic disorder is a mental disorder in which people experience recurrent, unexpected panic attacks. These attacks typically involve intense fear and anxiety, and may also include hallucinations or sensations of being about to lose control. The disorder is usually diagnosed after a person has had several panic attacks.
Gliese123
Hi all PF members! I've been bothered for many years by Panic attacks. It started when I was 15 and now I'm 17. Personally for me, the attacks occurs at evening and night but are common at the day, the attacks contains: intense death anxiety and hallucination. I've read about it and it seems very common. I already know different factors that can accelerate this sympton but what I wondering is: What part of the brain is affected by this attacks and how can it be described in a neuroscientific way?

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know how you came to the conclusion that Panic Attacks are 'common'. They're not. Are you receiving professional treatment? Because if you're not I suggest you get to it.

The neuroscientific explanations for your symptoms are quite simple, really. Panic Attacks themselves are purely psychological, and most of the symptoms you experience such as hallucination, increased heartbeat (what you call "intense death anxiety") are responses of your Sympathetic nervous system to this psychological threat, shifting the bloodflow away from your brain to the more critical parts of your body for defense against an attack (which obviously isn't going to come). When the Panic Attack is over, the blood flow goes back to normal and your hallucinations disappear due to your brain becoming properly oxygenated.

I've looked up this with a doctor before and he said it wasn't any harmful. Yet, they keeps bother me. You said it wasn't common? Then these links tells the opposite:

I don't know if that's little. But it certainly indicates they exist. It's not a warning but it's not good... Anyway, thank you for the fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImperialX said:
I don't know how you came to the conclusion that Panic Attacks are 'common'. They're not. Are you receiving professional treatment? Because if you're not I suggest you get to it.

The neuroscientific explanations for your symptoms are quite simple, really. Panic Attacks themselves are purely psychological, and most of the symptoms you experience such as hallucination, increased heartbeat (what you call "intense death anxiety") are responses of your Sympathetic nervous system to this psychological threat, shifting the bloodflow away from your brain to the more critical parts of your body for defense against an attack (which obviously isn't going to come). When the Panic Attack is over, the blood flow goes back to normal and your hallucinations disappear due to your brain becoming properly oxygenated.

As the links posted by Gliese123 suggest, panic attacks are actually fairly common. Someone close to me suffered from them, and her doctor's opinion of panic attacks differs from yours. The doc said they probably start with a disfunctioning amygdala.

The amygdala seems to respond to severe traumas with an un-erasable fear response... It seems to be genetically different and "wired" for a higher level of fear in some individuals, such as those with panic disorder.

http://www.psycheducation.org/emotion/amygdala.htm

Thank you Lisab. As you mentioned, it's fairly common. Unfortunately, medicines for this type of symptom, disorder (or whatever it's called) won't actually do so much, and I refuses to take any medicine with might have side effects...

Brief contribution to this topic.

1. Contact a Medical Professional - YOUR DOCTOR!

2. If you have post-traumatic stress disorder, one possible complication
could be panic attacks: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000925.htm

3. You can learn more about "Panic Disorder" from Medline Plus:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000924.htm

p.s. I should mention that I have a few friends that had panic attacks but no longer have them. They found out that too much caffeine and nicotine (cigarettes) was causing their problem.

Last edited:
Hallucinations are not a part of the panic disorder syndrome. As already suggested: See a physician.

Last edited:
Last edited:

What is a panic attack?

A panic attack is a sudden and intense feeling of fear or anxiety that is accompanied by physical symptoms such as a racing heart, shortness of breath, and chest pain. It can happen unexpectedly and without any clear trigger, and can last for several minutes.

What causes panic attacks?

The exact cause of panic attacks is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be a combination of biological, psychological, and environmental factors. Some research suggests that there may be a genetic predisposition to panic attacks, as well as abnormalities in certain brain areas and neurotransmitters that regulate emotions and stress responses.

How does the brain play a role in panic attacks?

The amygdala, which is responsible for processing emotions, has been found to be hyperactive in individuals with panic disorder. This causes an exaggerated response to perceived threats, triggering the physical symptoms of a panic attack. Additionally, the prefrontal cortex, which is involved in decision making and regulating emotions, may also be affected in individuals with panic attacks.

Can panic attacks be treated?

Yes, panic attacks can be effectively treated with a combination of therapy and medication. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is a commonly used approach that helps individuals identify and change negative thought patterns and behaviors that contribute to panic attacks. Medications such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and benzodiazepines can also be prescribed to manage symptoms.

Are panic attacks and anxiety the same thing?

Panic attacks and anxiety are closely related, but they are not the same thing. While panic attacks are sudden and intense episodes of fear or anxiety that have physical symptoms, anxiety is a more general feeling of worry or unease. However, repeated panic attacks can lead to the development of an anxiety disorder, such as panic disorder or generalized anxiety disorder.