Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paper Airplane

1. May 12, 2009 #1
    This is not homework, I'm just curious. Perhaps it belongs in the Engineering Forum, but the last one of these I posted there just got left in the dust.

I have a rather specific question to ask those of you who are familiar with paper airplane building/structure/dynamics. How would I go about building a paper airplane that could A) survive a 9 foot drop in which it starts literally straight down (nose to the ground) and B) could, after surviving the intitial fall, fly forwards ~ 8 meters.

All feedback appreciated, this will be quite interesting. Thank you for helping me, as I am not entirely familiar with this sort of dynamics.

Thanks,

Oscar

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2009 #2
    In Fourth Grade, my paper gliders could go diagonally across the classroom. Many years ago, Scientific American published a book:
    The Great International Paper Airplane Book (Hardcover)
    by Jerry Mander (Author), George Dippel (Author), Howard Gossage (Author)

There are many specialized designs, including longest flight path, longest time in flight, etc. Amazon.com lists this book.

4. May 12, 2009 #3
    Thank you very much! I'll really have to check this out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook