1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paper Bridge Project

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    I just got this project for my physics class. I need to build a paper bridge out of only paper and Elmer's glue. The bridge must be free standing with the highest point on the bridge being the roadbed (i was thinking i could do a suspension bridge, but I can't under that guideline). The bridge must fit within the following dimensional ranges:

Aspect Maximum Minimum
    weight 99 g none
    height 20 cm 5 cm
    width 10 cm 3 cm
    length 60 cm 40 cm

in addition, a 5cm by 5cm by 5cm cube must be able to pass freely beneath the bridge from its lowest point up. No lamination is allowed (a build up of five or more consecutive layers of paper in difect contact or separated by only glue)

any suggestions? i'm starting on a bridge with an arch but i'm not sure what to put to support the arch...
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2007 #2

Did you figure out a way to this project? I have the same project now and am not sure how to start. Can you please help by giving me some pointers?

4. Dec 9, 2007 #3
    Can you fold the paper in anyway? Intuitively it seems that you could make the paper a little more rigid by rolling/folding the paper up. Plus it will decrease the size.

As to the arch idea -- you could, however the idea of the arch is that it supports itself
  5. Dec 9, 2007 #4
    I will have to roll the paper.However, rolling the paper does not make the paper tough to hold even some ounces. I need it to take on more weight
  6. Dec 9, 2007 #5
    Well a single sheet of looseleaf paper weighs only like ~0.9g so you can use a lot. I don't know how much the glue will add to the weight however, I'd bet not that much. You can't laminate but you can fold the paper as many times as possible if you wanted to. Folding the paper reinforces it (great for making columns, arches, etc.) Honestly I decided to do this and I've gotten it to work with both columns and arches^^
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?