What if Newton and Einstein had a conversation about the twin paradox?

In summary, the conversation is about the first writing assignment for a modern physics class, which involves writing a short play between Issac Newton and Albert Einstein discussing the twin paradox. The person is seeking suggestions for humorous portrayals of the two scientists' personalities, as they were opposites in their approach and behavior towards others. They provide some information about Newton's personality and suggest checking an online resource for more ideas.
Xkaliber
Hi all,

I am taking modern physics this semester and just received my first writing assignment. The assignment asks me to write a short play centered on a dialogue between Issac Newton and Albert Einstein. These two scientists are to discuss the twin paradaox, with Einstein attempting to argue the logical validity of relativity while Newton is trying to find inconsistencies in the theory.

I am wanting to sprinkle the paper with bits of humor to make it a more enjoyable read. At the same time, I want to accurately portray the personalities of Einstein and Newton. So, does anyone have any suggestions for the personalities (that could be employed humorously) of these two men? I have looked through some online biographies of both men, but these contain more about their accomplishments than individual qualities. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Xkaliber said:
So, does anyone have any suggestions for the personalities (that could be employed humorously) of these two men? I have looked through some online biographies of both men, but these contain more about their accomplishments than individual qualities. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Well they were almost opposites when it comes to personalities. While Einstein was friendly and understanding towards those who disagreed with him Newton was harsh and vindictive.

Newton can be described as someone whom would rather plug away at equations than talk to people. He was known as being quite rude and mean. He stuck to himself for the most part. Before his death he said he was going to die a virgin, that says a lot I think. He came up with so many theories that would turn the world of physics upside down, he is easily one of the smartest and most determined people ever to walk this planet!

I do not know as much about einstein so I will let others fill in.

You might be able to pick some ideas aout of this link, as to how Newton and Einstein would disagree. For instance Newton would be confused by the speed element.

http://physics.ucr.edu/~wudka/Physics7/Notes_www/node74.html

1. What is the theory of special relativity?

The theory of special relativity is a physical theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905. It describes the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the relative motion of objects.

2. What are the key principles of special relativity?

The two key principles of special relativity are the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

3. How does special relativity differ from Newtonian mechanics?

Special relativity differs from Newtonian mechanics in that it takes into account the effects of relative motion and the constancy of the speed of light. Newtonian mechanics assumes that time and space are absolute and do not change depending on an observer's frame of reference.

4. What are some real-world applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has numerous real-world applications, including GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. It also helps explain phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.

5. What experiments have supported the theory of special relativity?

Several experiments have provided evidence for the validity of special relativity, including the Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is the same in all directions, and the Hafele-Keating experiment, which demonstrated the effects of time dilation on atomic clocks traveling at high speeds.