Paper on time travel

This SHOULD NOT have to drag on for four pages. Why are you wasting so much time here instead of writing your paper? You could have been half way done by now. You're much too general for anyone to understand you. In 4 pages of talking to the other member's of this board, you're still at the starting gate. I mean come on what is going on here?

OptimusPrime said:
This SHOULD NOT have to drag on for four pages. Why are you wasting so much time here instead of writing your paper? You could have been half way done by now. You're much too general for anyone to understand you. In 4 pages of talking to the other member's of this board, you're still at the starting gate. I mean come on what is going on here?
yeah ... but I still couldnt get the help.
I have this problem that I cannot write and think clearly ... maybe thats why i confused you guys earlier
but i think i did explain my assignment more in detail ...
Here:
"I need to write a 12 page research paper on time travel for a humanities class ...

i need help developing thesis statment/question ... or just an argument in general

my prof suggested to include movies .... i'm not sure if thats a good idea

i might need to be more specific than that, I dunno ... I usually have hard time presenting my thoughts .... if you are still confused about my assignment, please let me know and i'll try to explain it more in detail :( "

There was a gap between 12/10 and 12/20 where you didn't right any messages here. When is the paper due?

OptimusPrime said:
There was a gap between 12/10 and 12/20 where you didn't right any messages here. When is the paper due?
the paper was due a while ago ... but i fell super sick ...
so they extended the deadline for me
but i still hafta turn in the paper as soon as possible, because I have another paper due from another class ... and I cant start workin on that paper until i get done with this one

Last edited:
the thesis statement i'm currently interested in is

"the way certain sci-fi movies portray time travel is wrong"

1) the probs with that is i dont wanna talk about more than 2-3 movies in my paper

2) another prob is they're called FICTION for a reason, they never claim to be totally right anyway

Last edited:
3) Christopher Lloyd is one of the finest actors of our time.

Wishbone said:
3) Christopher Lloyd is one of the finest actors of our time.
excuse me?
hows that related to the topic

sweetvirgogirl said:
the thesis statement i'm currently interested in is
"the way certain sci-fi movies portray time travel is wrong"
1) the probs with that is i dont wanna talk about more than 2-3 movies in my paper
2) another prob is they're called FICTION for a reason, they never claim to be totally right anyway

So discuss the "reality of time travel," and use the films to describe some misconceptions people have about time travel -- the philosophical and physical aspects of it.

Maxwell said:
So discuss the "reality of time travel," and use the films to describe some misconceptions people have about time travel -- the philosophical and physical aspects of it.
can i get away with using only 2-3 movies on time travel as examples?
in particular, I've seen back to the future I, donnie darko and terminator II ... i dont think i wanna watch any other movies :(

also, my friend was like "uh they're FICTION.... not real "
do you think I can still diss them movies bor being not quite right?

Last edited:
Pengwuino
Gold Member
sweetvirgogirl said:
can i get away with using only 2-3 movies on time travel as examples?
in particular, I've seen back to the future I, donnie darko and terminator II ... i dont think i wanna watch any other movies :(
also, my friend was like "uh they're FICTION.... not real "
do you think I can still diss them movies bor being not quite right?

No, they are science fiction so they were never meant to be accurate nor advertised themselves as accurate so you have no basis to make fun of them. Also, it is not necessarily true that the movies were wrong since we don't even know if that kinda time traveling is possible in the first place.

Pengwuino said:
No, they are science fiction so they were never meant to be accurate nor advertised themselves as accurate so you have no basis to make fun of them. Also, it is not necessarily true that the movies were wrong since we don't even know if that kinda time traveling is possible in the first place.
can my thesis statement be something like "scifi movies on time travel do not quite portray what physicists theoratically believe about time travel"

i mean i wont make fun of the movies ... i'll just compare and contrast between what actual theories say and what the movies portray

man i'm in such a mess

Pengwuino
Gold Member
I think you should take a philisophical approach to what would happen if it were possible. As far as I know, time travel in this sense is not taken seriosuly by anyone in academia.

Pengwuino said:
I think you should take a philisophical approach to what would happen if it were possible. As far as I know, time travel in this sense is not taken seriosuly by anyone in academia.
time travel in what sense?

Pengwuino
Gold Member
being able to go back and forth from say, the 1800's to the 2400's and crap like that. The joke around here is that everyone is traveling through time at 60seconds/minute haha.

Pengwuino said:
being able to go back and forth from say, the 1800's to the 2400's and crap like that. The joke around here is that everyone is traveling through time at 60seconds/minute haha.
haha

well i gotta do what i gotta do

i need to write 12 page double-spaced research paper on time travel ... i just cant develop a thesis statement...

my prof suggested me to dissect back to the future using theories associated with time travel. the problem i cant writr 12 pages on it :/

plus it's not that great of a sci fi movie anyway ... it's entertaining and all ... but not that much about sci fi

Last edited:
I don't know if you are still looking for a thesis to write your paper on, however, I do have one suggestion. A while back I read a book I believe was called The Science of Star Wars. Essentially this book was a discussion on what aspects of the movies were possible, and how they would be accomplished. If you look at the different aspects of time travel presented in each of the movies, how it is done, what the effects are, etc. you may get some ideas. A thesis could then be comprised of the typical results of each of these catagories.

Do you have an assignment for this class? What subject area is the class in?

Time travel (in the backwards sense) is not something that almost any physicists take seriously in any practical sense. There few theories of time travel, and almost none are anything like what are shown in movies.

Some real topics in Physics that relate to time travel:
- Special relativity (relative slowing down of time allows for travel forwards in time, in some sense)
- Quantum entanglement (apparently instanteous collapse entails potential violations of relativity to which there are no clear solutions, but for which backwards time propagation may be a solution)
- General relativity (i.e. wormholes and the like, connections between far off places in space and time)

SaturnV said:
I don't know if you are still looking for a thesis to write your paper on, however, I do have one suggestion. A while back I read a book I believe was called The Science of Star Wars. Essentially this book was a discussion on what aspects of the movies were possible, and how they would be accomplished. If you look at the different aspects of time travel presented in each of the movies, how it is done, what the effects are, etc. you may get some ideas. A thesis could then be comprised of the typical results of each of these catagories.
what you suggested is quite good.... but my prof wont be too happy about it
she wanted me to base it on movies (she suggested back to the future)

Stephan Hoyer said:
Do you have an assignment for this class? What subject area is the class in?

Time travel (in the backwards sense) is not something that almost any physicists take seriously in any practical sense. There few theories of time travel, and almost none are anything like what are shown in movies.

Some real topics in Physics that relate to time travel:
- Special relativity (relative slowing down of time allows for travel forwards in time, in some sense)
- Quantum entanglement (apparently instanteous collapse entails potential violations of relativity to which there are no clear solutions, but for which backwards time propagation may be a solution)
- General relativity (i.e. wormholes and the like, connections between far off places in space and time)
it is for a humanities class (yeah... not for a physics class lol)

i just cant develop the focus for my paper ... a thesis statement

Does your paper have to be in any specific structure and have you already written a lot of it?

I was thinking that it would be kind of cool (esp. for a humanities class) if you wrote your paper in several fictional short stories (I don't know, maybe this is more of your style?). One could be about the grandfather paradox. You could start it off with you sitting in your room, thinking about how to write this paper. Add in a few paragraphs about you agonizing over some specific ideas in relativity (to sneak in some science). Then instead, you decided to try making your own time machine of some sort (I dunno, maybe you find instructions online) and it works! Then you could write about how you go back in time and do fun stuff, but then you accidentally do something serious and your time machine breaks and you go back to your own time and see the ramifications. Maybe that's really trite, but it could quickly fill in 12 pages if you're descriptive and good at writing, especially if you make a few stories surrounding some of the topics mentioned in this thread.

good luck.

Jelfish said:
Does your paper have to be in any specific structure and have you already written a lot of it?
I was thinking that it would be kind of cool (esp. for a humanities class) if you wrote your paper in several fictional short stories (I don't know, maybe this is more of your style?). One could be about the grandfather paradox. You could start it off with you sitting in your room, thinking about how to write this paper. Add in a few paragraphs about you agonizing over some specific ideas in relativity (to sneak in some science). Then instead, you decided to try making your own time machine of some sort (I dunno, maybe you find instructions online) and it works! Then you could write about how you go back in time and do fun stuff, but then you accidentally do something serious and your time machine breaks and you go back to your own time and see the ramifications. Maybe that's really trite, but it could quickly fill in 12 pages if you're descriptive and good at writing, especially if you make a few stories surrounding some of the topics mentioned in this thread.
good luck.

thanks ... it's a very creative idea ... but my prof is not gonna like it :(

you seem to be quite creative though lol ... please help me out!

I don't know if this has been said before, but you can write a paper on how time travel is NOT possible, theoretically and practically.

To be completely honest, I couldn't explain to you the details of time travel because I don't know them. I do know that if you look at it from a modern physics point of view, it can become very confusing very quickly. That's why I suggested the short story approach. It would only require that you understand the philosophical problems of time travel.
Here's an amusing anecdote I found by searching google:
You are very depressed. You are suicidally depressed. You have a gun. But you do not quite have the courage to point the gun at yourself and kill yourself in this way. If only someone else would kill you, that would be a good thing. But you can't really ask someone to kill you. That wouldn't be fair. You decide that if you remain this depressed and you find a time machine, you will travel back in time to just about now, and kill your earlier self. That would be good. In that way you even would get rid of the depressing time you will spend between now and when you would get into that time machine. You start to muse about the coherence of this idea, when something amazing happens. Out of nowhere you suddenly see someone coming towards you with a gun pointed at you. In fact he looks very much like you, except that he is bleeding badly from his left eye, and can barely stand up straight. You are at peace. You look straight at him, calmly. He shoots. You feel a searing pain in your left eye. Your mind is in chaos, you stagger around and accidentally enter a strange looking cubicle. You drift off into unconsciousness. After a while, you can not tell how long, you drift back into consciousness and stagger out of the cubicle. You see someone in the distance looking at you calmly and fixedly. You realize that it is your younger self. He looks straight at you. You are in terrible pain. You have to end this, you have to kill him, really kill him once and for all. You shoot him, but your eyesight is so bad that your aim is off. You do not kill him, you merely damage his left eye. He staggers off. You fall to the ground in agony, and decide to study the paradoxes of time travel more seriously.
Here's the rest of the (modern physics and topology laden) article: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time-travel-phys/

I know this might not be much help, but if I were given that assignment, I personally wouldn't go the straight 12 page thesis and defense method, even as a third year physics undergrad. If you're sure you want to stick with this topic, I would reconsider my suggestion, even if your professor won't like the style. Your alternative will be 12 pages of equations and stuff that either doesn't make sense (esp. to your professor) or is utterly dry. Physics is a difficult topic for a composition because its language is in mathematics.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Treadstone 71 said:
I don't know if this has been said before, but you can write a paper on how time travel is NOT possible, theoretically and practically.
well i dont think it's imposible though :?

Jelfish said:
To be completely honest, I couldn't explain to you the details of time travel because I don't know them. I do know that if you look at it from a modern physics point of view, it can become very confusing very quickly. That's why I suggested the short story approach. It would only require that you understand the philosophical problems of time travel.
Here's an amusing anecdote I found by searching google:
Here's the rest of the (modern physics and topology laden) article: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time-travel-phys/
I know this might not be much help, but if I were given that assignment, I personally wouldn't go the straight 12 page thesis and defense method, even as a third year physics undergrad. If you're sure you want to stick with this topic, I would reconsider my suggestion, even if your professor won't like the style. Your alternative will be 12 pages of equations and stuff that either doesn't make sense (esp. to your professor) or is utterly dry. Physics is a difficult topic for a composition because its language is in mathematics.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
to make sure it's not dry .... or a bunch of equations, my prof suggested to use Back to the Future as a point of dissection