1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paper on walking

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    Hello,

I am taking Conceptual Physics and I am writing a paper about an every day use of physics, defining at least 5 physics concepts. I have about 3 and a half pages completed over walking, and I would love for someone to proof read it to make sure everything makes sense. If anyone has any suggestions to add or finds any corrections needed, I would love to hear them. My e-mail is Sbowling78@hotmail.com. Thank you all for your time.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2
    I'm not sure what Conceptual Physics is, so I'm a little uncertain about the level of information you need. The paper is fairly well written with regard to grammar and style and makes sense in its organization, but is perhaps too passive and not very technical. For example, when you talk about the pendulum in the second paragraph, it would be better to speak of an "inverted pendulum" and then to include a diagram. Such a diagram would easily allow the reader to follow a discussion of hip vs. knee strategies.

In the same vein, you should include at least basic formulas, for example, when discussing friction (and, by the way, ice does not have a zero coefficient of friction). And that leads to a major omission - people do adapt their gait in response to differing walking surfaces (indeed even in response to perceived differences that may not actually exist) and you ought to at least mention that.

Finanlly, two references are not enough. I suggest five to seven.

On the whole, a darn good start!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?