Egg Drop Design Using Only Paper

In summary: This can only come with experience and practice. In summary, the task is to design a protective structure using limited materials to ensure an egg survives three drops without cracking. The use of tape is limited to attachment purposes and no other functions. One attempted solution involved a double parachute design, with a basket made of two layers of paper and six strips of paper connecting it to an 11" parachute. However, when dropped from a few feet onto a padded table, the egg cracked. The key to success is to slow down the initial velocity and decrease the force upon impact. Experimentation and experience will help in intuitively knowing which designs will work best.
Silver Rose

Homework Statement

My physics teacher is making us do an egg drop after only being in school for two weeks. We can only use up to four 8.5" x 11" sheets of regular computer paper and as much tape as we want. The tape cannot be used as more than a form of attachment. Meaning that the tape cannot make a basket or strings for a parachute, for example. The egg has to be able to survive 3 drops, two from a second floor window, and one from the top of a football stadium. The more times the egg can survive the fall without the slightlest crack, the better grade I get.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to build a double parachute design. I made a basket roughly the size of the egg with a double layered bottom(two layers of paper). The parachute had six strips of paper connecting the basket to the 11" parachute. I cut a one inch hole into the center of my parachute, and put a smaller 2" parachute about 2" above the other parachute. I dropped it a few times onto a couch and a bed from a few feet high and once I got it to fall a bit slower, I dropped it onto a padded table. The egg cracked almost completely in half when I dropped it onto the table.

Physics news on Phys.org
Silver Rose said:

Homework Statement

My physics teacher is making us do an egg drop after only being in school for two weeks. We can only use up to four 8.5" x 11" sheets of regular computer paper and as much tape as we want. The tape cannot be used as more than a form of attachment. Meaning that the tape cannot make a basket or strings for a parachute, for example. The egg has to be able to survive 3 drops, two from a second floor window, and one from the top of a football stadium. The more times the egg can survive the fall without the slightlest crack, the better grade I get.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to build a double parachute design. I made a basket roughly the size of the egg with a double layered bottom(two layers of paper). The parachute had six strips of paper connecting the basket to the 11" parachute. I cut a one inch hole into the center of my parachute, and put a smaller 2" parachute about 2" above the other parachute. I dropped it a few times onto a couch and a bed from a few feet high and once I got it to fall a bit slower, I dropped it onto a padded table. The egg cracked almost completely in half when I dropped it onto the table.

When the egg hit the ground the ground will exert of force over a period of time that will cause the egg to accelerate (or decelerate if you like) thus changing its momentum to some mvo to some mvf. So its pretty clear you can do two things.

1. Make the initial velocity at which the egg hits the ground smaller using air resistance.

2. Make the F part of impulse smaller and the t (time) part of the impulse bigger. Padding...

So you can look at the math all you want, you need to slow it down if you can, you need to lower the force which it hits the ground and increase the time of deceleration. The practical/creative side of accomplishing the above is for you.

Our teacher told us some designs that had worked on the past, and after taking notes, I triend what he described. My problem is is that I don't know how big I need to make the actual parachute. If you know a formula to calculate the area of parachute needed for however much weight is placed in the basket, this would be greatly appreciated. He said the egg will be between 55 and 65 grams, roughly.

Silver Rose said:
Our teacher told us some designs that had worked on the past, and after taking notes, I triend what he described. My problem is is that I don't know how big I need to make the actual parachute. If you know a formula to calculate the area of parachute needed for however much weight is placed in the basket, this would be greatly appreciated. He said the egg will be between 55 and 65 grams, roughly.

Personally,

I would experiment.

I'm trying to expirement, but there are literally a hundred ideas wizzing thought my mind everytime i pick up paper and scissors.

An important part of any engineering challenge is to intuitively know which of the hundred designs would work and which wouldn't.

What is the purpose of the "Egg Drop Design Using Only Paper" experiment?

The purpose of the "Egg Drop Design Using Only Paper" experiment is to test the effectiveness of different paper designs in protecting an egg from breaking when dropped from a height. This experiment helps to demonstrate the principles of physics and engineering in a fun and hands-on way.

What materials are needed for the "Egg Drop Design Using Only Paper" experiment?

The only materials needed for this experiment are paper (such as newspaper, construction paper, or printer paper) and an egg. Optional materials may include scissors, tape, and other crafting supplies to create different designs.

What are some tips for designing a successful egg drop using only paper?

Some tips for designing a successful egg drop using only paper include creating a crumpled and cushioned landing surface, using multiple layers of paper for added protection, and designing a structural shape that distributes the impact of the fall evenly across the paper.

What are some potential variables that could affect the outcome of the "Egg Drop Design Using Only Paper" experiment?

Some potential variables that could affect the outcome of this experiment include the type and thickness of paper used, the height from which the egg is dropped, and the design of the paper structure. Other variables to consider may include the weight of the egg and the angle at which it is dropped.

What are some real-world applications of the principles learned in the "Egg Drop Design Using Only Paper" experiment?

The principles of physics and engineering demonstrated in this experiment can be applied in real-world scenarios, such as designing protective packaging for fragile items or creating structures that can withstand impact or force. This experiment also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many fields of science and technology.