Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paper or Electronic

1. Paper

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Electronic

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Don't Care

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Nov 20, 2004 #1
    Hey guys!!!

Easy poll: Whn doing research for reports and papers, do you guys prefer Paperback journals or the electronic form??

I've just started doing proper research for projects and I really prefer the paperback type. It's so much more comforting to have something substantial in front of you.

Anyone else??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2004 #2
    Since i am keeping every single article i like in an archives, i am happy to have them in my laptop :smile:

On the other hand, if i want to "edit" sth from there or deeply have a look at it and write about it, the best result i got by having the article/journal in my hands...i.e printed if it is electronic.

I have a truoble now with my paper journals...hoping if i can store then electronically [i will not waste time typing them :biggrin: ]

I did go for electro in the poll

4. Nov 20, 2004 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted "Don't Care." I like the ease of searching online and being able to download rather than walk to the library, but I also sometimes find good gems of articles by browsing recent issues right off the shelves. I can't read off the screen (I like to be able to flip back and forth a lot), so I end up printing out everything anyway. It is less paper to just print the articles I want rather than collect a stack of journals though. I stopped subscribing to Science just because I was running out of bookshelves, and every library has a subscription to that journal, so it's never a problem getting my hands on it.

5. Nov 20, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I use online tools more often, but usually end up printing out an article that I decide to read. I prefer reading out of something on a piece of paper...especially something like a journal article.

6. Nov 20, 2004 #5
    I find it easier to read something on paper. I believe there is some science somewhere to back that up. I also heard that reading speed is decreased slightly when something is read over the computer rather than on paper.

I definately prefer reading a book or a printed piece of paper. Sometimes I even print off my writing assignments to edit them because I find I catch more mistakes that way.

Finding information on the Internet is much easier than going to the library - in my opinion. I assumed you were talking about what I prefered to read, so I voted paperback.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?