1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paper Plane Distance

1. Jan 24, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I'm doing an experiment to get my silver CREST award, in which I've created a mechanical paper plane thrower. I have thrown various types of plane, but all with the same design. The thrower uses a 9V battery, but is more like 6 now. The thrower has two motors, each which take 70mA. The thrower throws consistently with a percentage difference of each throw being <3%, and each plane spends around 0.3s on the launcher before leaving its grasp.

My results are as follows:
    A4 75gsm plane weighing 4.7g travels 4.37m
    A4 60gsm plane weighing 3.8g travels 3.33m
    A5 75gsm plane weighing 2.4g travels 3.80m
    A5 60gsm plane weighing 1.9g travels 2.20m

I am trying to find the number of joules each plane takes to get x meters, by finding the j/kg. The j/kg should give me m^2/s^2 which would enable me to work out the power required to throw a 1ton aluminium plane for 1km.
    However, no matter how hard i try, i cannot get the equation to work for more than 1 value at a time.

Can anyone come up with an appropriate equation to work out power or energy from distance, weight and other measurable variables?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2016 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What is the gsm parameter? grams per square metre of the paper?

4. Jan 24, 2016 #3
    Yes. i have put the weight next to it anyway just for reference.

5. Jan 24, 2016 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, you should have two formulae, one for each weight.
    airplanes.png
    OK, hm. You want two parameters, weight and gsm.

6. Jan 24, 2016 #5
    Should i?
    I want to be able to vary the weight to find the power. Surely i would have to fit it in the same equation?

7. Jan 25, 2016 #6

David Lewis

Gold Member

To get power, you might divide work (the distance the launcher arm moves multiplied by the integral with respect to time of force as a function of time) by 0.3 s.

The distance a glider flies (for a given amount of work) varies depending, in part, on its aerodynamics.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook