Paper Plane Distance Experiment: Power & Energy Calculation

In summary: A glider with more streamlined surfaces will fly further than one with less streamlined surfaces. The air pressure also affects the distance a glider can fly. High pressure air pushes objects away from the ground, while low pressure air pulls objects towards the ground.In summary, the glider throws consistently with a percentage difference of each throw being <3%, and each plane spends around 0.3s on the launcher before leaving its grasp. The distance a glider flies (for a given amount of work) varies depending, in part, on its aerodynamics, air pressure, and weight.
Timizorzom
Hi,

I'm doing an experiment to get my silver CREST award, in which I've created a mechanical paper plane thrower. I have thrown various types of plane, but all with the same design. The thrower uses a 9V battery, but is more like 6 now. The thrower has two motors, each which take 70mA. The thrower throws consistently with a percentage difference of each throw being <3%, and each plane spends around 0.3s on the launcher before leaving its grasp.

My results are as follows:
A4 75gsm plane weighing 4.7g travels 4.37m
A4 60gsm plane weighing 3.8g travels 3.33m
A5 75gsm plane weighing 2.4g travels 3.80m
A5 60gsm plane weighing 1.9g travels 2.20m

I am trying to find the number of joules each plane takes to get x meters, by finding the j/kg. The j/kg should give me m^2/s^2 which would enable me to work out the power required to throw a 1ton aluminium plane for 1km.
However, no matter how hard i try, i cannot get the equation to work for more than 1 value at a time.

Can anyone come up with an appropriate equation to work out power or energy from distance, weight and other measurable variables?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the gsm parameter? grams per square metre of the paper?

Yes. i have put the weight next to it anyway just for reference.

Well, you should have two formulae, one for each weight.
airplanes.png

OK, hm. You want two parameters, weight and gsm.

Should i?
I want to be able to vary the weight to find the power. Surely i would have to fit it in the same equation?

To get power, you might divide work (the distance the launcher arm moves multiplied by the integral with respect to time of force as a function of time) by 0.3 s.

The distance a glider flies (for a given amount of work) varies depending, in part, on its aerodynamics.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the Paper Plane Distance Experiment?

The purpose of the Paper Plane Distance Experiment is to investigate the relationship between power and energy in the flight of a paper plane. By varying the amount of energy used to launch the paper plane, the distance it travels can be measured and used to calculate the power generated by the plane.

2. What materials are needed for the experiment?

To conduct the Paper Plane Distance Experiment, you will need paper, a ruler, a pencil, a stopwatch or timer, and a flat, open space to launch the plane.

3. How is the power and energy of the paper plane calculated?

The power of the paper plane can be calculated using the formula: Power = Work / Time. The work done by the paper plane is equal to the force applied (energy) multiplied by the distance traveled. The time can be measured using a stopwatch or timer.

4. How can the experiment be modified for different levels of difficulty?

The experiment can be modified by changing the design of the paper plane, the distance traveled, or the amount of energy used to launch the plane. For a more challenging experiment, try using different types of paper or adding weights to the plane to see how it affects the power and distance traveled.

5. What are some potential sources of error in the experiment?

Some potential sources of error in the Paper Plane Distance Experiment include variations in the launch technique, wind or air resistance, and inconsistencies in the materials used. To minimize errors, it is important to launch the plane in the same way each time and to conduct multiple trials to get an average distance traveled.

Back