How can I accurately calculate the lift coefficient for my paper plane's wing?

In summary, the conversation is about a game developer seeking advice on how to accurately simulate the physics of a paper airplane in their game. They have already calculated the trust, drag, lift, gravity, and velocity of the paper airplane, but are now trying to determine the correct lift coefficient using a formula they found on a forum. They are also wondering about the behavior of the paper airplane in reality and have provided a link to a webpage on paper airplane aerodynamics for reference.
Wolv3r
Hello Guys.

Maybe you got in the past some similar questions :)

I'm a game developer and I'm programming a game with a paper plane and I want to achieve a nearly real physic.

What I got so far:

trust = the speed when I throw the paper plane.
drag = dragcoefficient * airdensity * trust² * surface / 2
lift = 0.5 * airdensity * velocity² * wingarea * lift coefficient
gravity = weight * 9.822 / (24 frames per seconds)
velocity = trust - drag - lift + gravity

So, my problem now is this:

• the correct lift coefficient:
    How can I calculate the lift coefficient with aoa? Here on this forum I found the following formula:
    Cl = Cl(2d slope) * (AR/AR+2)*aoa

But what is 2d slope, and how can I calculate the Cl when I don't have the Cl? And what is AR?
  • When I throw the paper plane, and it's moving upwards, the speed is increasing. But it must be decreasing:
    I know, that I calculate the lift into velocity. So it must be increasing. But how is it in reality?

Greetings and thanks

Wolv3r

Physics news on Phys.org
Paper airplanes (at least the ones I use) have no internal thrust; no motors, engines, or propellers. They are therefore more like gliders and less like true powered airplanes. This means that unless they hit an up-drafting air current which externally provides lift, the paper airplane can only fall over the long-term. It can momentarily ascend as part of its overall downward path, but only at the expense of its forward momentum. It momentarily exchanges kinetic energy for gravitational potential energy (like a pendulum).

The 2d slope is the CL versus AOA curve for a 2d (idealized) wing, which would be similar to a wing with infinite span. AR is aspect ratio, the (wing span) / (wing chord). Link to a web page about paper airplanes:

http://paperplane.org/Aerodynamics/paero.htm

1. How does the shape and size of a paper plane affect its flight?

The shape and size of a paper plane can greatly impact its flight. A wider and longer paper plane will generally have more lift and stability, while a smaller and narrower paper plane will have less drag and travel faster through the air. The shape of the wings also plays a role - a curved wing will create more lift than a flat wing, allowing the paper plane to stay in the air longer.

2. What is the ideal weight for a paper plane?

The ideal weight for a paper plane depends on several factors, such as the size and shape of the plane, the material it is made of, and the desired flight path. In general, a paper plane should be light enough to be easily lifted by air currents, but not so light that it is easily affected by wind or other external forces.

3. How does the center of gravity affect the flight of a paper plane?

The center of gravity is the point on a paper plane where all of its weight is evenly distributed. If the center of gravity is too far forward, the plane will nose dive. If it is too far back, the plane will stall and fall to the ground. Finding the right balance is crucial for a paper plane to have a stable and controlled flight.

4. Can the type of paper used affect the flight of a paper plane?

Yes, the type of paper used can greatly impact the flight of a paper plane. Thicker and heavier paper will generally create more drag and result in a shorter flight. On the other hand, thinner and lighter paper will allow the plane to travel further. Experimenting with different types of paper can help determine which one works best for a particular paper plane design.

5. How do air currents and air pressure affect the flight of a paper plane?

Air currents and air pressure play a significant role in the flight of a paper plane. As the paper plane moves through the air, it creates an area of higher pressure in front of it and lower pressure behind it. This difference in pressure creates lift, which allows the plane to stay in the air. Air currents and wind can also affect the direction and speed of the paper plane, making it important to consider these factors when launching a paper plane.