1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paper Rubbed with Wool/Fur/Silk

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What kind of charges will a sheet of paper have after it has been rubbed with wool or fur? with silk?

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have an idea about this, I'm just not definite with the answer. I know the paper is a good insulator if kept dry. Assuming that the paper is dry, rubbing it with wool (which is a better insulator) will separate the charges.

I've read from my book that when objects are given net charges by rubbing them against one another, both electrons and ions/charged atoms can be transferred from one object to another.

Here's where I'm confused, since both electrons and ions can be transferred, what (specifically) could be its kind of charged?

I guess the wool would have negative charges, the paper - positive charges. I just don't know if it's right, and how to justify that. And also, is it the same with silk?

Help
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted