Optimizing Your Chances in a Game of Paper, Scissor, Rock: A Strategic Approach

• Thread starter DesertFox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper Rock
My intuition tells me it would stay the same, but I don't have the mathematical proof to back it up.In summary, the probability of winning, losing, and drawing is equal for both players in a single game of paper, scissor, rock. For a series of 100 games, the probability would likely still be equal, but without mathematical proof, it is difficult to say for certain. In an infinite number of games, the probability may shift slightly, but it is still unclear without further mathematical analysis.
DesertFox
Let's consider a game of paper, scissor, rock. We have two players: player A and player B. Player A always do paper; player B always uses a strategy, where he tosses a die, and if it comes out 1 or 2- he goes rock, if it comes out 3 or 4- he goes paper, and if it comes out 5 or 6- he goes scissor.

1) If the game is played just one time, e.i. we are considering one single "shot", who has better chance to be the winner?

2) If the game is repeated 100 times, who has better chance to get more wins? (both of the players stick rigidly to their initial strategy!)

3) If the game is repeated infinitely times, who has better chance to prevail on the long run? (both of the players stick rigidly to their initial strategy!)

Here it is my attempt to answer. I am answering really intuitively, because I lack the mathematical approach.
Nobody has better chance; the situation is 50/50.

But as I said, this is my pure intuition... I don't know whether I am right. And even if I am right... I can't explain WHY i am right (in mathematical context)

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a one in three chance of Player B playing rock, one in three chance of playing scissors, and one in three chance of playing paper. That means there's a one in three chance of losing, one in three chance of winning, and one in three chance of drawing. That means there's the same probability of winning and losing; what would that indicate?

Likes DesertFox
So, mixed strategy is not the better strategy, when we are considering one single play of paper, scissor, rock?

Actually, if we are considering one single "shot" of paper, scissor, rock... there is no better strategy, right?
Mixed strategy makes sense only when we are considering a series of plays, because it will keep the opponent guessing. Right?

DesertFox said:
Mixed strategy makes sense only when we are considering a series of plays, because it will keep the opponent guessing. Right?
That gets into the psychology of the game, which I don't think the question is about. If player B were thinking about what to play, he would start playing scissors because he knows it would win, but both players are stuck to a rigid strategy.

For the question, I don't see why the probability would change based on the number of games.

Likes scottdave

1. How can I improve my chances of winning in a game of Paper, Scissor, Rock?

One strategy for improving your chances of winning is to observe your opponent's patterns and adjust your moves accordingly. For example, if your opponent tends to play rock frequently, you may want to play paper more often.

2. Is there a specific order to play in a game of Paper, Scissor, Rock?

No, there is no specific order to play in this game. Each option (paper, scissor, and rock) has an equal chance of winning, so it is ultimately up to chance.

3. Should I stick to one move or switch it up in each round?

It is generally recommended to switch up your moves in each round to keep your opponent guessing. However, if you notice your opponent is consistently playing one move, it may be beneficial to stick to a move that beats their pattern.

4. Is there a way to predict my opponent's next move?

While it is not possible to predict your opponent's exact next move, you can observe their patterns and make educated guesses based on their previous moves. Keep in mind that your opponent may also be trying to predict your moves, so it is important to mix up your strategy.

5. Can I use psychology to win in a game of Paper, Scissor, Rock?

Psychology can be a factor in this game, as players may try to outsmart their opponents by using reverse psychology or bluffing. However, it is important to not solely rely on psychology and also consider the statistical probabilities of each move.