1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paper submission

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    I got good news..sorta...

My paper got rejected by the editors from a journal because it was 'too complex' 'too forbidding' for its audience.

That's good news because at least I know the caliber of my work isn't 'basic'. I was concerned that my works was based too much off calculus concepts wanst advanced enough. At least now I have a better perspective.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2
    well can't say much because I don't know what journal it is and I haven't read your preprint.

4. Feb 20, 2009 #3
    cool

5. Feb 20, 2009 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure it is not the writing style? How are you going to solve this problem?

6. Feb 20, 2009 #5

tmc

Getting a paper rejected by the editor, before it even made its way to the reviewers, is rarely a good thing

7. Feb 20, 2009 #6
    This is true. It either means that the journal you selected was not the right kind of journal or that there is something seriously and fundamentally wrong with your paper.

8. Feb 23, 2009 #7

it made it to the referee process, which I presume follows an initial review

I emailed it to another mathematician who has strong experience in the same topic as my paper who is going to review it. I'm still confident the work is of decent quality, but acknowledge the topic matter is arcane and isn't readily accessible.

9. Mar 16, 2009 #8
    Papers make it to review as long as they aren't formatted horribly, blatantly stupid, or obviously fake.

The fact that it is an arcane subject means that it was probably more likely to make it through to review, even though it may have been crap, because the nobodies who do the initial read probably had no interest/idea what you were writing about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook