Submit Paper After Rejection: Other Options?

• Thread starter nemox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of transferring copyright to APS before a paper is accepted for publication by an APS journal. It is advised to do so early to avoid delays. If a paper is rejected, the copyright transfer is null and the author is free to submit it to other journals.
nemox
Some matured opinions are needed here. After a paper being rejected by Phys.Rev. journals (I already signed the copyright transfer) while the editor suggested 'may consider publication on other sections', can I still submit this paper to other non-APS journals? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to read the Copyright FAQ on the APS page. It took me about a minute to find

Why should I transfer copyright to APS before the article is accepted for publication by an APS journal?
Transferring copyright early in the process avoids the possibility of delaying publication if the transfer has to be obtained later in the process. By the terms of the copyright transfer agreement itself, it has no effect until the paper is accepted by an APS journal. The author retains the copyright until acceptance, and has the full freedom, for example, to withdraw the paper from consideration by an APS journal and submit it elsewhere.

Timo said:
You may want to read the Copyright FAQ on the APS page. It took me about a minute to find

Thanks, Timo. Very helpful to a newbie. Still one question: Do I have to withdraw the paper from APS? Or the rejection means that I am free to submit it somewhere else.

nemox said:
Thanks, Timo. Very helpful to a newbie. Still one question: Do I have to withdraw the paper from APS? Or the rejection means that I am free to submit it somewhere else.

Yes, if it has been rejected, and you don't plan on resubmitting it there, then the copyright transfer is null and void. You can resubmit it elsewhere.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Yes, if it has been rejected, and you don't plan on resubmitting it there, then the copyright transfer is null and void. You can resubmit it elsewhere.

Zz.

Thanks a lot ZapperZ.

1. What are the other options after my paper has been rejected?

After your paper has been rejected, you have a few options to consider. You can revise and resubmit your paper to the same journal or submit it to a different journal. Another option is to address the reviewers' comments and submit your paper to a different journal. You can also choose to post your paper on a preprint server or open access repository. Finally, you can seek feedback from colleagues or a writing group to improve your paper before submitting it elsewhere.

2. How do I know if I should revise and resubmit my paper?

If the editor or reviewers have provided specific comments and suggestions for improvement, it may be worth revising and resubmitting your paper. However, if the rejection was due to a fundamental flaw in your research or it does not align with the journal's scope, it may be better to submit it to a different journal.

3. Can I submit my rejected paper to a different journal immediately?

It is not recommended to submit your rejected paper to a different journal immediately. Take the time to carefully review the feedback from the previous journal and make any necessary revisions. Additionally, each journal has its own specific guidelines and requirements, so it is important to ensure your paper meets these before submitting it.

4. Is it beneficial to post my paper on a preprint server or open access repository?

Posting your paper on a preprint server or open access repository can make it accessible to a wider audience and potentially increase its visibility. This can also help with receiving feedback and potential collaborations. However, some journals may consider this as prior publication, so it is important to check the journal's policies before posting your paper.

5. How can I improve my chances of getting my paper accepted after a rejection?

To improve your chances of getting your paper accepted after a rejection, carefully address all the feedback and comments provided by the reviewers and editor. Consider seeking feedback from colleagues or a writing group to improve your paper before resubmitting it. Additionally, make sure to carefully follow the submission guidelines and ensure your paper aligns with the journal's scope. It may also be helpful to choose a different journal that is a better fit for your research.