Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paperback vs Hardback

1. Jan 27, 2005 #1

Let me start off by apologizing for starting another "book" thread. I realize that some of you must be sick to death of these types of questions, but I didnt see this topic anywhere in previous threads. As I'm sure you know, students are usually quite poor and don't want to risk making a mistake and get a book that wasn't what they expected. So here goes the question:

Are the (cheaper) paper-back versions of classic texts such as Courant, Apostol, Spivak's calculus, word-for-word replicas of the original hard-back copies?
    Are there any other differences besides the hardness of their covers? :tongue:

Thanks for your help
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2005 #2
    yes. and you can get courant's book and apostol's book (both volumes) online which i am studying right now
  4. Jan 28, 2005 #3

So your using the paper-back version?
    Can I get the ISBN # from you?

5. Jan 28, 2005 #4
    no i am using the hard back version (just checked em out of library). but they the actual ebooks online
  6. Jan 28, 2005 #5

How do you know they are the same then?
  7. Jan 29, 2005 #6
    Which book of Courant were you talking about? If it was "An Introduction to Calculus and Analysis", then heres the ISBN for the paper back version.

Volume one : 81-8128-168-3
    Volume two : 81-8128-169-1

I dont see why the paper back and hard back should be any different. Its logically absurd :) Its just the same book with a different binding.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?