1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parabola equations review

1. Aug 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write the equation for the parabola. Vertex (0,0), axis along x-axis, passes thru (-2,-4).

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought since the parabola resides on the x-axis that I was supposed to use x^2=4py, with a parabola looking similar to this:

However, the solution is actually in the form of y^2=4py, looking like this:

I thought if it was along the x-axis it would look similar to the first pic? (This problem is just a refresher for the technical calc course I'm enrolled in, sorry for the crappy mspaint pics)
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2007 #2
    It seems that you have confused the plots of the parabolas with respect to their equations.
    Assuming you have your axes right (x+ point to the right, y+ point up) parabolas of the form "x^2 = 4py" correspond to the 2nd image you attached, while those of the form "y^2 = 4px" correspond to the 1st one.

This is easy to see, as -in the "x^2 = 4py" case- for each y you should have too solutions for x (since x is squared), therefore the symmetry must be with respect to Y, thus the 2nd image.
  4. Aug 26, 2007 #3
    I think I'm confused because the problem says axis along x-axis; in this case, I thought 'along the x axis' meant the equation x^2=4py would be used. The book, however, says y^2=4py is to be used...
  5. Aug 26, 2007 #4
    anybody? This seems to be a very simple but I can't figure out why I cannot visualize this problem.
  6. Aug 26, 2007 #5

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

"axis" means "axis of the parabola". I believe the wording would have been clearer if your book said, "axis of the parabola... parallel to the x axis". "Along", as used was intended to mean "in the same direction as..."; my opinion is that it is a little more difficult to interpret.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?