1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parabola Help Plz

1. Feb 19, 2005 #1
    I have a few problems for a review section in my book for a test comming up soon. i am confused on a few problems and was wondering if some1 could help plz?

1.) The Axis is horizontal; the parabola passes through the points (0,4), (0,-1) and (6,1)

I am very confused on this problem and 2 others exactly like it, but with different points. Could someone please help me get these started?

Thanks for all your help its appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the general equation for a parabola oriented like this? It should be x in terms of y^2 and three constants. So you need three equations to find those three constants. The points give you those three equations.

Use the general equation and plug in x = 0 and y=4, x=0, y =-1, and x=6, y=1 and you can figure out what the constants are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?