How can I determine the parabola of a projectile?

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help on an equation to show the parabola of a projectile. They have determined that lateral and vertical velocities are needed, but are stuck after that. The person refuses to look up the solution and has only come up with an expression involving delta x and delta y. They need to factor in gravity and deceleration and are new to physics. The other person suggests starting with the equations x = utcosθ and y = utsinθ - 1/2gt^2 and provides a resource for further understanding of projectile motion.
CallMeDirac
I have been puzzling over an equation that could be made to show the parabola of a projectile.
So far I have determined that the lateral and vertical velocities are needed, the lateral velocity should determine the x² function but after that I am stuck.

To specify I refused to look this up as that would be admitting defeat so I figured this was second best.

Physics news on Phys.org
CallMeDirac said:
Summary:: I need help on this

I have been puzzling over an equation that could be made to show the parabola of a projectile.
So far I have determined that the lateral and vertical velocities are needed, the lateral velocity should determine the x² function but after that I am stuck.

To specify I refused to look this up as that would be admitting defeat so I figured this was second best.
You need to post what you've done so far. Try to use Latex if you can:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

For example, I guess you have: $$x = ut\cos \theta, \ y = ut\sin \theta -\frac{1}{2}gt^2$$

If you reply to this post you should see what I typed to get those formatted equations.

Likes CallMeDirac
PeroK said:
You need to post what you've done so far. Try to use Latex if you can:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

For example, I guess you have: $$x = ut\cos \theta, \ y = ut\sin \theta -\frac{1}{2}gt^2$$

If you reply to this post you should see what I typed to get those formatted equations.
\delta x^2 + \delta y + h

Is all I have but I need to account for gravity and find the rate of deceleration

CallMeDirac said:
\delta x^2 + \delta y + h

Is all I have but I need to account for gravity and find the rate of deceleration
That didnt work

CallMeDirac said:
That didnt work
You're short of a few dollars! You deleted the dollar signs that delimit the Latex.

PeroK said:
You're short of a few dollars! You deleted the dollar signs that delimit the Latex.
$$ \Delta x^2 + \Delta y + h $$
?

CallMeDirac said:
?
yes

CallMeDirac said:
?
That's not an expression I can make any sense of.

PeroK said:

So far I have

$$ \Delta x^2 $$ being the denominator in the slope and $$ \Delta y $$ being the numerator ( rise/ run for slope) and H being the height from which it is fired, but I need to factor in gravity and deceleration

CallMeDirac said:
So far I have

$$ \Delta x^2 $$ being the denominator in the slope and $$ \Delta y $$ being the numerator ( rise/ run for slope) and H being the height from which it is fired, but I need to factor in gravity and deceleration
That makes no sense.

If you are trying to do what I think you are doing, you need to start with this:$$x = ut\cos \theta, \ y = ut\sin \theta -\frac{1}{2}gt^2$$

PeroK said:
If you are trying to do what I think you are doing, you need to start with this:$$x = ut\cos \theta, \ y = ut\sin \theta -\frac{1}{2}gt^2$$

Can you explain each part.
Sorry, I am a bit new to physics

CallMeDirac said:
So far I have

The real Paul Dirac would never have done anything like that! :wink:

1. What is a parabola of a projectile?

The parabola of a projectile is the curved path that a projectile follows when it is launched into the air and influenced only by the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect the shape of a parabola of a projectile?

The shape of a parabola of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the parabola of a projectile?

The angle of launch determines the height and distance that a projectile will travel. A higher angle will result in a higher peak and a longer distance, while a lower angle will result in a lower peak and a shorter distance.

4. Can a parabola of a projectile be affected by external forces?

Yes, the parabola of a projectile can be affected by external forces such as air resistance or wind. These forces can cause the projectile to deviate from its expected path and result in a different shaped parabola.

5. How is the parabola of a projectile used in real-life applications?

The parabola of a projectile is used in various real-life applications such as sports, engineering, and physics. For example, in sports like basketball and baseball, the trajectory of the ball follows a parabola. In engineering, the parabola of a projectile is used to calculate the optimal angle and velocity for launching a projectile. In physics, it is used to understand the motion of objects under the influence of gravity.