Find p in Parabola Problem with {x | -50 < x < 50}, {y | 0 < y < 20}

• Thread starter yourmom98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, to find the equation of a parabola with a vertex at (0,20) and a vertical line of symmetry, you need to use the equation (x-h)^2=4p(y-k), where h and k represent the coordinates of the vertex. Since the vertex is at (0,20), the equation becomes (x-0)^2=4p(y-20). By plugging in the given values of x and y at a point on the parabola, such as x=50 and y=0, you can solve for p and find the equation of the parabola.
yourmom98
Given {x | -50 < x < 50}, {y | 0 < y < 20} vertex at (0,20) it is a parabola find the equation in (x-h)^2=4p(y-k)

its pretty easy except how do i find p?

Physics news on Phys.org
The information you given isn't enough- I assume you mean a parabola with vertical line of symmetry, vertex at (0, 20), and such that when x=50, y= 0.
(From {x|-50< x< 50}, {y|0< y< 20}, my first guess was x= 50, y= 20 but then I saw that the vertex was at y= 20 so the parabola must be opening downward.)

Since you only ask about p, I assume you understand that since the vertex is at (0, 20), the equation is (x- 0)2= 4p(y- 20). Now, put x= 50, y= 0 in that and solve for p.

To find the value of p in this parabola problem, we can use the fact that the vertex of the parabola is given at (0,20). This means that the parabola is symmetric about the y-axis, and the equation will take the form (x-h)^2 = 4p(y-k), where (h,k) is the vertex. In this case, h = 0 and k = 20, so the equation becomes x^2 = 4p(y-20).

To find the value of p, we can use the fact that the parabola passes through the point (50,0). Substituting these values into the equation, we get:

50^2 = 4p(0-20)
2500 = -80p
p = -2500/80
p = -31.25

Therefore, the equation of the parabola is (x-0)^2 = -125(y-20), or simplified, x^2 = -125y + 2500. This equation represents a parabola with a vertex at (0,20) and a focus at (0, -31.25).

1. What is the equation for the given parabola?

The equation for a parabola in standard form is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a represents the coefficient of the squared term, b represents the coefficient of the linear term, and c represents the constant term. In this case, the equation would be y = ax^2 + bx + c with the given values for x and y.

2. How do I find the value of p in this parabola?

The value of p can be found by solving for x in the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c. Once x is found, p can be determined by substituting the value of x into the given range of values for x.

3. What is the significance of the given range of values for x and y?

The given range of values for x and y represents the domain and range of the parabola. This means that any point within this range can be plotted on the graph of the parabola. The range of values for x also helps to determine the value of p in the parabola.

4. How is this parabola different from a regular parabola?

This parabola differs from a regular parabola in that it has a limited range of values for both x and y. This means that the parabola is only defined within a specific area, rather than extending infinitely in both directions. It also means that the vertex of the parabola may not be at the origin, as it would be in a regular parabola.

5. Can I use any other method to find the value of p in this parabola?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to find the value of p in this parabola, such as using the quadratic formula or graphing the parabola and finding the x-intercepts. However, the given range of values for x and y can provide a quick and easy way to determine the value of p.