1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parabola question

1. May 14, 2008 #1
    mods please move this topic if this is not in the correct section. thanks. :)

the question is:
    the vertices of the family of parabolas y = x^2 + bx, b is constant, lie on a single parabola. Find equation for that parabola.

my teacher require me to provide supporting details & background info that back up my answer and have to verify it using a different method. i'm really puzzled and i would greatly appreciate any help that comes my way. thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2008 #2
    Well why don't you start by showing what you've done on the problem, and we'll take it from there.

4. May 15, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You might want to start by completing the square so it's easy to see where the vertices are.

5. May 15, 2008 #4
    so this is what i've gotten so far, please correct me if i'm wrong.

for any generalized parabola, the equation is given in the standard form: y = ax^2 + bx + c

a = 1 (in the equation y = x^2 + bx)
    b = constant
    c = (b/2)^2

the equation for the parabola that the question asks for, if written as completing the square, should be: y - k = (x - h)^2.
    we need to find the center (h, k) so that y = x^2 + bx.

y - k = (x - h)(x - h)
    y - k = x^2 - 2xh + h^2

...?

6. May 15, 2008 #5
    [tex]x^2+bx=(x+b/2)^2-b^2/4[/tex] check it and then see if that's helpful for you.

7. May 17, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, but not in this equation! Would it be easier to write it as [itex]y= a(x^2+ (b/a)x)+ c[/itex]? How would you complete the square for [itex]a(x^2+ (b/a)x[/itex]?

Why, after completing the square, did you then ignore it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?