What is the equation for the cross section of a parabolic TV antenna dish?

• Thread starter vitaly
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for the cross section of a television antenna dish, which is a parabola. It also mentions finding the depth of the dish, which can be calculated using the equation y=x^2/20 and solving for y when x=5. The depth is found to be 1.25 feet.
vitaly
I'm having difficulty with this question. All help is appreciated.

*The cross section of television antenna dish is a parabola and the receiver is located at the focus.

A. If the receiver is located 5 feet above the vertex, assume the vertex is the origin, find an equation for the cross section of the dish.
Okay, I know the vertex is 0,0. The focus is 0, 5. The equation is x^2=4ay.
I don't know where to go from there, or what equation is needed to find the cross section.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Actually, I figured it out. x^2 = 4ay, and a must equal 5 because the focus is (0,5).
That means teh equation is x^2 = 4(5)y or x^2 = 20y.

What I can't figure out is part B:
If the dish is 10 feet wide, how deep is it?
I have never had a question like this before. How do you know how "deep" a dish is?

So the equation of the parabola is [itex]y=x^2/20[/itex]. If it's 10 feet wide and centered at the origin, then it's cross section is between -5 and 5 on the x-axis. So, to find the depth, you need to calculate "y" for x=5... that is, if I understand the question correctly.

- Kamataat

Thank you for the help. I think that's right. Solving for y, it would be 1.25, which is the answer. I just didn't know how to come to it and show my work. Thanks again.

What is a parabola?

A parabola is a type of curve that is shaped like a U. It is a symmetrical curve that can be found in many different situations, such as in nature, architecture, and mathematics. In mathematics, a parabola is a graph of a quadratic function, which is an equation in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c.

What are the key features of a parabola?

The key features of a parabola include its vertex, focus, and directrix. The vertex is the point on the parabola where it changes direction. The focus is a fixed point inside the parabola, and the directrix is a straight line outside the parabola that is perpendicular to the axis of symmetry.

How do you graph a parabola?

To graph a parabola, you will need to plot points on a coordinate plane based on the equation of the parabola. The vertex is always the midpoint of the parabola, and the axis of symmetry passes through the vertex. You can then plot additional points by substituting different x-values into the equation and solving for y. Finally, connect the points to create a smooth curve.

What is the relationship between a parabola and its equation?

The equation of a parabola provides information about its shape, position, and key features. For example, the coefficient a determines whether the parabola opens up or down, while the coefficients b and c determine the position of the vertex. By analyzing the equation, you can also determine the x and y-intercepts of the parabola.

What are common applications of parabolas?

Parabolas have many real-world applications, such as in architecture and engineering for designing structures like arches, bridges, and satellite dishes. They are also used in physics to model the trajectory of objects in motion, such as projectiles. In economics, parabolas can be used to represent profit and cost functions. Additionally, parabolas are commonly seen in nature, such as the shape of a water fountain or the path of a thrown ball.