Plotting the Parabolic Curve for a Given Equation: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter skaboy607
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses a request for assistance in plotting a parabolic curve for the equation sigmaY*(1-(L/k)^2/2*(L/k)c^2). The notation used is found to be ambiguous and the correct equation is determined to be f(x)= sigmaY(1- \frac{L/k)^2}{2(L/k)c^2}= sigmaY*(1- L/(2kc^2)), which has a vertex at (0, A) and opens downward. The individual also mentions difficulty with using LaTeX and provides a link to the original thread for reference.
skaboy607
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how I would go about plotting the parabolic curve for the equation:

sigmaY*(1-(L/k)^2/2*(L/k)c^2)

Any help most appreciated

Will

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, that's not an equation. Second, your notation is ambiguous.
Do you mean
[tex]f(c)= sigmaY*(1- \frac{(L/k)^2}{2}(L/k) c^2)= sigmaY*(1- (L/k)^3c^2/2)[/tex]
or
[tex]f(c)= sigmaY(1- \frac{(L/k)^2}{2(L/k)} c^2= sigmaY*(1- (L/k)c^2/2)[/tex]
or
[tex]f(x)= sigmaY(1- \frac{L/k)^2}{2(L/k)c^2}= sigmaY*(1- L/(2kc^2))[/tex]
Since the last is not a quadratic and its graph is not a parabola, you must mean one of the first two. In either case, that is f(c)= A- Bc2 (what A and B are depends on which of the two you meant) which has vertex at (0, A) and opens downward.

I will try and write the equation properly next time but I don't know how to use latex.

Ok the equation I have is the third one? but with sigma instead of f(x).

It is from a lab report and have been asked to draw the parabola for it. The original thread is here,

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=280106

Thanks for your help.

What is a parabolic curve?

A parabolic curve is a two-dimensional shape that is created by intersecting a plane with a cone. It is characterized by a U-shaped appearance and is symmetric about a vertical axis.

What are the properties of a parabolic curve?

A parabolic curve has several important properties, including:

• It is continuous and smooth.
  • It is symmetric about its axis.
  • It has a single vertex, the point where the curve changes direction.
  • It is infinitely long, with no end points.
  • It is a quadratic curve, meaning it can be described by a second-degree polynomial equation.

What are some real-life examples of parabolic curves?

Parabolic curves can be found in many natural and man-made objects, including:

• The path of a thrown ball.
  • The shape of a suspension bridge.
  • The trajectory of a rocket.
  • The design of a satellite dish.
  • The shape of a water fountain.

How is a parabolic curve used in science?

Parabolic curves have many practical applications in science, including:

• In physics, they are used to model the motion of objects under the influence of gravity.
  • In engineering, they are used to design structures that can withstand certain forces, such as bridges and arches.
  • In optics, they are used in the design of reflective surfaces, such as mirrors and telescopes.
  • In mathematics, they are used to solve quadratic equations and in the study of conic sections.

How can I graph a parabolic curve?

To graph a parabolic curve, you can use a graphing calculator or software, or you can plot points manually using the equation of the curve. The general form of a parabolic curve is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. Once you have a few points plotted, you can connect them to create the parabolic curve.