Parabolic light-path's function for index of refraction

In summary, the problem involves finding a function n(y) that describes the index of refraction in a planar cross-section of a medium, in order to make a beam of light follow a specific path. This is done using the equations for the optical path length and the Euler-Lagrange equations. The equations are taken from a website and are for a general n that depends on both x and y, but in this case, n is only a function of y. After several attempts, the proposed solution is n(y) = sqrt(1-4y) * e^(2/(1-4y) + C), but there may be errors in the setup of the equations.
cefarix

Homework Statement

The setup is a planar cross-section of a medium. The horizontal direction is 'x' and the vertical direction is 'y'. I fire a beam of light into this plane, starting at some positive y, at x = 0, and traveling horizontally in the x+ direction. I need to find a function n(y) describing the index of refraction that would make the beam of light follow the path s(t): x(t) = t, y(t) = y_0 - t^2 , where y_0 is the initial y position of the beam.

Homework Equations

L = integral{A to B} of [ n ds ] = integral{A to B} of [ n sqrt( (dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2 ) dt ] . Here L is the optical path length along the path the beam follows. It is a path integral of the index of refraction along the path of the beam.

f(x,y,x',y') = n(x,y) * sqrt(x'^2 + y'^2) is an extremum function that can be constructed from the above integral. x' is dx/dt and y' is dy/dt .

dn/dx - (d/dt) * (df/dx') = 0 and dn/dy - (d/dt) * (df/dy') are the Euler-Lagrange equations.

Please note that all of these equations have been taken from the website http://www.mathpages.com/rr/s8-04/8-04.htm" . The equations there are for a general n which is dependent on both x and y. However, in my problem, n is a function of y only, so there is probably a simpler version of the above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried many times to solve the above equations for n. My latest attempt involves first of all defining y = -x^2, and then defining a function F = n(y) * sqrt(1 + (dy/dx)^2), and then using F in the equation dn/dy - (d/dx)*(dF/dy'), where y' = dy/dx . I think a formulation of y(x) instead of x(t),y(t) is also valid since x(t) = t and y(t) = y_0 - t^2. After several pages of algebra, I end up with the equation: ((8y + 6) / (16y^2 - 8y + 1)) dy = dn / n . Using the Wolfram Integrator for the LHS, I end up with: n(y) = e^(0.5 * ln (1-4y) + 2/(1-4y) + C) = sqrt(1-4y) * e^(2/(1-4y) + C).

I am certain that I have made an error somewhere, as each time I solve the equations I get a different answer. I am also pretty sure I have made a more fundamental error in setting up the equations somewhere, as the exponential answer I get does not seem to make much sense - I do not think an exponentially increasing index of refraction would be necessary to cause a light beam to bend in a parabolic trajectory, plus also the answer becomes imaginary as soon as y > 0.25

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
.Any help would be most appreciated. I am an Electrical Engineering student, so my knowledge of calculus and differential equations is limited.

1. What is a parabolic light-path?

A parabolic light-path is a curved path that light follows as it passes through a medium with varying density, such as air or water. It is characterized by a curved shape that resembles a parabola and is formed due to the index of refraction of the medium.

2. How does the index of refraction affect the function of a parabolic light-path?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a medium can bend light. In a parabolic light-path, the index of refraction varies along the path, causing the light to bend at different angles. This results in a curved path instead of a straight one.

3. What is the purpose of a parabolic light-path?

A parabolic light-path is used to manipulate the direction of light and focus it at a specific point. This can be useful in various applications such as telescopes, microscopes, and reflectors for satellite dishes.

4. How is the index of refraction calculated for a parabolic light-path?

The index of refraction for a parabolic light-path is calculated using Snell's law, which relates the angle of incidence and refraction to the ratio of the indices of refraction of the two media involved. The index of refraction can also be measured experimentally using a refractometer.

5. Can a parabolic light-path be used in other mediums besides air and water?

Yes, a parabolic light-path can be used in any medium with varying density, such as glass or plastic. The index of refraction will vary depending on the medium, but the concept of a curved path remains the same.