Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parabolic mean value formula

1. Jun 1, 2012 #1
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2012 #2
    Hello.

The exponent n+1 is correct as written. To me the difficulty seems to be that Evans is using the exact same notation (y,s) before and after transforming between E(0,0,r) and E(0,0,1).

So, for this explanation, let (y,s) be the variables in E(0,0,r) and (y',s') the variables in E(0,0,1). (I know primes aren't so great, but Evans is already using (x,t) so I won't use that)

Then the transformation between them is
    $$ y=ry' \,\,\, s = r^2 s'.$$
    The y variables live in n dimensions and s in 1 D, so the Jacobian will be [itex] r^n*r^2[/itex].

So lets say you take the final integral over E(0,0,r) and we want to transform that into what is on the line immediately before it. Substitute the change in variable, multiply in the Jacobian and you will end up with the same exponent n+1 for the scale change.

At the bottom of the second page, the exponent is n as you noticed. The difference is in the integrand. Notice the term |y|^2/s^2. When you substitute the change in variables, that produces a factor of (1/r^2).

On the third page, the two terms have factors |y|^2/s and y_i |y|^2/s^2 respectively. When you perform the substitution, there is only the factor (1/r). This accounts for the difference you noticed.

I will be happy to accept your offered payment as cash or check :smile:

4. Jun 5, 2012 #3
    Thanks man!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook