Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parabolic Mirror Equation

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1
    I was wondering whether the curved surface mirror formula (that is usually used to solve convex or concave spherical mirror problems) remains unaltered in case of parabolic mirrors.What might be invalid is the equation 1/f= 2/R...

After all,the equation 1/v + 1/u= 1/f pertains to convex/concave surfaced mirrors...However, I am not sure of it...Can anyone suggest anything?

-Regads,
    Neel

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2
    I assume you mean spherical mirrors.
    That formula is an approximation - it holds only for rays close to the axis (i.e. not good for very strong lenses/mirrors)
    It's equally good for parabolic mirrors with the same proviso.

4. Jul 15, 2010 #3
    Thank you very much; yes,the mirror equation is a result of paraxial approximation.Although I forgot, probably there was nothing in the proof of the mirror equation that used the sphericity of the surface. It is good that it can also be used for convex or concave paraboloid mirrors (though concave paraboloid mirrors are in more use)...

5. Dec 15, 2010 #4
    Any body know how to align parabolic mirror?
    please help....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook