Solve Parabolic Motion Problem: Jet of Water from Fire Hose

• Thread starter PhoenixWright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the angle at which the jet should be tilted to hit the building as high as possible is:tan \alpha = \frac{v_0^2}{gd}
PhoenixWright
Member warned to use the formatting template for homework posts.
I have a problem that means:

The jet of water from a fire hose comes with a vo speed. If the hose nozzle is located at a distance d from the base of a building, demostrate that the nozzle should be tilted at an angle such that [tex] tan \alpha = \frac{v_0^2}{gd} [/tex]

so that the jet strikes the building as high as possible. At the point where it hits, is the jet is going up or going down?
---------------------

I have tried this:

If the jet reaches the building as high as possible:

[tex]v_y = 0, [/tex] so [tex]t = \frac{v_0 sin \alpha}{g} [/tex]

When the jet reaches the building, x = d, so:

[tex] x = v_0 cos \alpha t \\

t = \frac {d}{v_0 cos \alpha}
[/tex]

I have, therefore:

[tex]\frac{v_0 sin \alpha}{g} = \frac {d}{v_0 cos \alpha} \\

\frac{v_0^2}{gd} = \frac{1}{cos \alpha sin \alpha}[/tex]

I should have [tex] tan \alpha [/tex] where I have [tex]\frac{1}{cos \alpha sin \alpha}[/tex]

What is it wrong?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
PhoenixWright said:
If the jet reaches the building as high as possible:
##v_y = 0##
Certainly that will be the case at the highest point of the trajectory, for a given angle, but that leaves open the possibility that a higher point could be reached at the given distance by using a different angle. In other words, you have assumed the jet will be horizontal at the target.
(Not saying this is wrong, merely that you have not demonstrated it.)

Likes PhoenixWright
haruspex said:
Certainly that will be the case at the highest point of the trajectory, for a given angle, but that leaves open the possibility that a higher point could be reached at the given distance by using a different angle. In other words, you have assumed the jet will be horizontal at the target.
(Not saying this is wrong, merely that you have not demonstrated it.)

Thank you!

Then, I think I should add a condition more (one equation), but I have no idea what it is. If I add [tex] y = h_0 + v_0sin \alpha t -1/2 gt^2 [/tex], I would have h unknown; and I think I don't have more equations...

PhoenixWright said:
Then, I think I should add a condition more (one equation), but I have no idea what it is. If I add [tex] y = h_0 + v_0sin \alpha t -1/2 gt^2 [/tex], I would have h unknown; and I think I don't have more equations...
You can substitute for t in there using the equation you had from the X direction. It remains to maximise y wrt alpha.

Likes PhoenixWright
haruspex said:
You can substitute for t in there using the equation you had from the X direction. It remains to maximise y wrt alpha.

Thank you! Now I understand it.

What is parabolic motion?

Parabolic motion is the path followed by an object that is thrown, launched, or otherwise projected near the Earth's surface and moves along a curved path due to gravity.

What factors affect the trajectory of a jet of water from a fire hose?

The trajectory of a jet of water from a fire hose is affected by factors such as the initial velocity of the water, the angle at which the hose is held, air resistance, and gravity.

How do I calculate the maximum height and range of a jet of water from a fire hose?

The maximum height and range of a jet of water from a fire hose can be calculated using the equations for projectile motion, which take into account the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the effects of gravity and air resistance.

Why does a jet of water from a fire hose follow a parabolic path?

A jet of water from a fire hose follows a parabolic path because it is affected by gravity, which causes it to accelerate downward, and air resistance, which causes it to slow down as it travels through the air. These forces combine to create a curved trajectory known as a parabola.

How is the trajectory of a jet of water from a fire hose useful in real life?

The trajectory of a jet of water from a fire hose is useful in real life for firefighters, who can use knowledge of parabolic motion to aim the hose at the correct angle and distance to reach a specific target. This can help them extinguish fires more effectively and efficiently.