Paraboloidal Wave Conversion via Biconvex Lens

Substituting this into the equation for U1(r), we get:U2(r) = t(x,y) * U1(r)= h_0 exp( jk (x^2+y^2)/2f) * A0/(z-z1) exp(-jkf(z1-f)/z1) exp(-jk(x^2 + y^2)/(2(z-z1))) U1(r)= h_0 A0/(z-z1) exp
roeb

Homework Statement

Show that a paraboloidal wave centered at the point P1 (x,y, z1) is converted by a biconvex lens of focal length f into a paraboloidal wave centered about P2 where 1/z1 + 1/z2 = 1/f.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if U1(r) = A0/(z-z1) exp(-jk(z-z1)) exp(-jk(x^2 + y^2)/(2(z-z1))

Now I also know that the transmittance thru a thin lens is given by
t(x,y) = h_0 exp( jk (x^2+y^2)/2f) where h_0 = exp(-jnk*thickness)

So I would think that U2(r) = t(x,y) * U1(r)
Unfortunately, if I multiply the two together I don't really get anything that I would find useful.

My question is - how do I get z1 and z2 so that I can show that I am satisfying the imaging equation?

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to use mathematical equations and principles to support your findings and conclusions. In this case, we can use the thin lens equation and the concept of wave propagation to show how a biconvex lens can convert a paraboloidal wave centered at point P1 into a paraboloidal wave centered at point P2.

First, let's define the variables in the problem:

- P1: point of origin of the paraboloidal wave
- P2: point of origin of the converted paraboloidal wave
- z1: distance from P1 to the lens
- z2: distance from lens to P2
- f: focal length of the biconvex lens
- A0: amplitude of the paraboloidal wave
- k: wave number
- n: refractive index of the lens material
- thickness: thickness of the lens

Now, let's start by writing the equation for the paraboloidal wave at P1:

U1(r) = A0/(z-z1) exp(-jk(z-z1)) exp(-jk(x^2 + y^2)/(2(z-z1))

Next, we can use the thin lens equation to relate z1, z2 and f:

1/z1 + 1/z2 = 1/f

Rearranging this equation, we get:

z2 = f(z1-f)/z1

Now, we can substitute this value of z2 into the equation for U1(r):

U1(r) = A0/(z-z1) exp(-jk(z-z1)) exp(-jk(x^2 + y^2)/(2(z-z1))

= A0/(z-z1) exp(-jk(z-f(z1-f)/z1)) exp(-jk(x^2 + y^2)/(2(z-z1))

= A0/(z-z1) exp(-j(kz-kf(z1-f)/z1)) exp(-jk(x^2 + y^2)/(2(z-z1))

= A0/(z-z1) exp(-jkf(z1-f)/z1) exp(-jk(x^2 + y^2)/(2(z-z1))) exp(-jkz)

= A0/(z-z1) exp(-jkf(z1-f)/z1) exp(-jk(x^2 + y^2)/(2(z-z1))) U1(r)

Now

1. What is Paraboloidal Wave Conversion via Biconvex Lens?

Paraboloidal Wave Conversion via Biconvex Lens is a process that uses a biconvex lens to convert a paraboloidal wave (a type of spherical wave) into a collimated beam of light. This technique is commonly used in optical systems to manipulate the direction and shape of light waves.

2. How does Paraboloidal Wave Conversion via Biconvex Lens work?

In this process, the biconvex lens is placed in the path of the paraboloidal wave. The lens has a curved surface on both sides, which causes the wavefronts to be focused and parallelized. The resulting beam of light is then directed in a specific direction depending on the curvature and orientation of the lens.

3. What are the applications of Paraboloidal Wave Conversion via Biconvex Lens?

This technique has various applications in optics, such as in laser systems, telescopes, and other optical instruments. It can also be used in imaging and projection systems to manipulate the direction and shape of light beams.

4. Are there any limitations to Paraboloidal Wave Conversion via Biconvex Lens?

One limitation of this technique is that it only works with paraboloidal waves and not with other types of waves, such as plane waves or spherical waves. Additionally, the size and shape of the biconvex lens can affect the quality and accuracy of the conversion.

5. How is Paraboloidal Wave Conversion via Biconvex Lens different from other wave conversion techniques?

Paraboloidal Wave Conversion via Biconvex Lens is a specific type of wave conversion technique that is used for paraboloidal waves. Other techniques, such as diffraction gratings or lenses with different curvatures, may be used for different types of waves or for different applications.