1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Paraboloid problem help

1. Jul 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The solid enclosed by the paraboloid x=y2+z2 and the plane x=16.

2. Relevant equations
    Triple integral in ractangular coordinates

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured out this is a paraboloid that circles the x axis, that starts at the origin and it gets wider and wider as it goes in the x direction until it is stopped by the plane x=16 where there is a circle around the x axis with a radius of

[tex]\int_{x=y2+z2}^{16}\int_{z=-\sqrt{16-y2}}^{\sqrt{16-y2}}\int_{z=0}^4 dxdzdy [/tex]

I was just curious if my set up looks right.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2010 #2
    Re: Paraboloid

ok that is not what I meant to write lol, I have to work on this really quick

4. Jul 5, 2010 #3

ok I got what I want up there except for some reason when I try and square stuff, the coding keeps appearing for the stuff in the integrals but not in the first sentence I wrote.

5. Jul 5, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

In TeX, you use ^ to get a superscript and _ to get a subscript, so x2 would be written x^2 and xmin would be written x_{min}, for example.

6. Jul 5, 2010 #5

The integral isn't correct.
    Your left-most integral bounds shouldn't have variables in it.
    Your right-most shouldn't have constants.
    You have used "z=" in two of the integrals, and "y=" in none.

7. Jul 5, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have the integrals backwards, and I assume where you wrote z=0, you meant y=0. You have dy on the end, so its limits should be on the frontmost integral. Similarly, the limits for z should be on the middle integral, and the limits for x on the innermost integral. Other than the wrong order, it looks good.

8. Jul 5, 2010 #7

Ya I meant to write them as dxdzdy, but I was so caught up in trying to use Latex for the first time I didn't even notice I had the order mixed up. Thank you for the help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook