Solve Paraboloid and Plane Intersection with Triple Integral Method

• Thread starter EV33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paraboloid
In summary, the homework problem involves finding the volume of a solid enclosed by a paraboloid and a plane using a triple integral in rectangular coordinates. The paraboloid is centered on the x-axis, starts at the origin, and expands in the x direction until it reaches the plane x=16. The correct integral setup is \int_{y=0}^{4}\int_{z=-\sqrt{16-y^2}}^{\sqrt{16-y^2}}\int_{x=y^2+z^2}^{16} dxdzdy.
EV33

Homework Statement

The solid enclosed by the paraboloid x=y2+z2 and the plane x=16.

Homework Equations

Triple integral in ractangular coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out this is a paraboloid that circles the x axis, that starts at the origin and it gets wider and wider as it goes in the x direction until it is stopped by the plane x=16 where there is a circle around the x-axis with a radius of

[tex]\int_{x=y2+z2}^{16}\int_{z=-\sqrt{16-y2}}^{\sqrt{16-y2}}\int_{z=0}^4 dxdzdy [/tex]

I was just curious if my set up looks right.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

ok that is not what I meant to write lol, I have to work on this really quick

ok I got what I want up there except for some reason when I try and square stuff, the coding keeps appearing for the stuff in the integrals but not in the first sentence I wrote.

In TeX, you use ^ to get a superscript and _ to get a subscript, so x2 would be written x^2 and xmin would be written x_{min}, for example.

The integral isn't correct.
Your left-most integral bounds shouldn't have variables in it.
Your right-most shouldn't have constants.
You have used "z=" in two of the integrals, and "y=" in none.

You have the integrals backwards, and I assume where you wrote z=0, you meant y=0. You have dy on the end, so its limits should be on the frontmost integral. Similarly, the limits for z should be on the middle integral, and the limits for x on the innermost integral. Other than the wrong order, it looks good.

Ya I meant to write them as dxdzdy, but I was so caught up in trying to use Latex for the first time I didn't even notice I had the order mixed up. Thank you for the help.

1. What is a paraboloid?

A paraboloid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a parabola. It can be formed by rotating a parabola around its axis or by intersecting two parallel planes with a cone.

2. What is the paraboloid problem?

The paraboloid problem is a mathematical optimization problem that involves finding the minimum or maximum value of a function that is defined on a paraboloid surface. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to model real-world situations.

3. How do you solve the paraboloid problem?

The paraboloid problem can be solved using calculus techniques such as differentiation and integration. First, the function on the paraboloid surface must be defined, and then its gradient must be calculated. The critical points of the function can then be found by setting the gradient equal to zero and solving for the variables. The values of these variables can then be substituted into the original function to find the maximum or minimum value.

4. What are some real-world applications of the paraboloid problem?

The paraboloid problem has various applications in different fields. In engineering, it can be used to find the optimal shape of a satellite dish or antenna for maximum signal strength. In physics, it can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile launched at an angle. It also has applications in economics, such as finding the maximum profit for a company with a given cost function.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving the paraboloid problem?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving the paraboloid problem, such as using linear programming or geometric methods. However, these methods may only work for specific types of paraboloid problems and may not be as efficient as using calculus techniques.