Parachutist jumping from plane Conservation of Energy

In summary, the problem involves a parachutist with a mass of 70 kg jumping from a plane traveling at a speed of 100 km/h and landing with a speed of 5.00 m/s at a height of 2500 m. The "conservation of energy strategy" is used to calculate the change in internal energy from just after the jump until just before landing. The equations used are PE[i]+KE[i]=PE[f]+KE[f]. The initial velocity is calculated to be vi=0km/h and then the velocity without air resistance is factored in. Direction is not important in calculating energy and the parachutist will have a horizontal speed of 100 km/h when he first lets go.
Jordash

Homework Statement

A parachutist with mass m = 70 kg jumps from an airplane traveling at a speed v = 100 km/h at a height H = 2500 m and lands with a speed vf = 5.00 m/s. Use the “conservation of energy strategy” to calculate the change in internal energy of the system from just after the jump until just before landing. (1E6)

Homework Equations

PE+KE=PE[f]+KE[f]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that where it talks about the airplane traveling at 100 km/h makes no difference in this problem. So the actual initial velocity would be vi=0km/h then I think I would calculate the velocity without Air Resistance and then factor in the difference of speed. Am I headed in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
He will have speed 100 km/h initially. Don't forget to convert to m/s.

Why though? is the plane traveling downward?

Direction is not important in calculating energy. The parachutist will have a horizontal speed of 100 - same as the plane - when he first let's go.

1. What is the conservation of energy principle?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to a parachutist jumping from a plane?

When a parachutist jumps from a plane, they have potential energy due to their position in the plane. As they fall, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. When the parachute is deployed, it increases the air resistance and slows the parachutist down, converting their kinetic energy back into potential energy. This process continues until the parachutist reaches the ground.

3. Is all the energy conserved in a parachutist jump?

No, some energy is lost due to air resistance and friction. As the parachutist falls, they experience air resistance, which converts some of their kinetic energy into heat and sound. Additionally, the friction between the parachute and air also converts some energy into heat. However, the total energy within the system remains constant.

4. How does a parachute affect the conservation of energy in a jump?

A parachute increases the air resistance, which slows down the parachutist's descent. This process converts their kinetic energy into potential energy, which is then used to slow them down further. The parachute does not create or destroy energy but helps to conserve it by converting it from one form to another.

5. Can the conservation of energy be violated in a parachutist jump?

No, the conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that has been extensively tested and proven. It applies to all physical systems, including a parachutist jumping from a plane. While some energy may be lost due to external factors, the total energy within the system remains constant.