Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paradox? Changing the present by changing the past

1. Jan 10, 2007 #1
    You have an enemy who wishes to kill you before you become a thorn in their side. The year is 2007 and they send information back to 1994 of your whereabouts and they arrange an "accident". You are sitting on the back of a truck with your legs dangling over the edge. The killer drives a forklift and sweeps the forks backward under the end of the truck to relieve you of your legs.......the girl sat next to you warns you of impending danger and you move just in time. Does time itself save your life, do events construe to make it impossible because you are here in 2007? Is it because the information used to track you down was sent back through time that it does not work?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2007 #2
    Is it even possible to send information back in time? :tongue:

I don't think nature has a sense of plot. By that, I mean that if you traveled to the past and saved someone from dying, I don't think circumstances would arrange for their death to occur in a different way. That just doesn't make sense :P

4. Jan 10, 2007 #3
    It must do mustn't it? For if it didn't then the "accident" would in all probability ben successful would it not?..How can I be killed yers ago if I am sat hee talking to you now? Does that not involve a rearranged plot that nature/time whatever you want to call it, does not accept? I cannot surely be sat here one minute and have died in 1994 the next...or I would never have gone through the life that lead me to be sat in this particular house talking to you now...which would also not allow me to have just lost my legs either because again...my whole life course would probably not lead me to be sat here now. Maybe nature dislikes time attained murder attempts!!

5. Jan 10, 2007 #4
    Did this actually happen to you? lol

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  6. Jan 11, 2007 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

If you allow for the possibility of time travel without explaining the mechanism, you create a dead-end wherein the problem cannot be solved.

7. Jan 11, 2007 #6
    ok..just say..for answers sake that it was achieved using an out of body scenario to send bits of information back ..whether you believe it's possible is irrelevent right now but would the nature time construct allow the event or not?

8. Jan 11, 2007 #7
    That's up to you...if you assume the laws of nature don't apply anymore, what else goes?

9. Jan 11, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Novikov self-consistency principle, also known as the Novikov self-consistency conjecture:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novikov_self-consistency_principle

10. Jan 12, 2007 #9
    if there could be time travel in the future
    there would be time travel NOW

11. Jan 12, 2007 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Niven's Law: there will never be time travel, since there isn't NOW.

12. Jan 12, 2007 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

As gabee points out, you can't simply suspend laws as you see fit and still get a sensical answer.

The thing that stops the paradox is not separate from the thing that stops you from looking to see what would happen.

13. Jan 12, 2007 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is an assumption on your part. The notion [question] of closed time-like curves is certainly an open one.

14. Jan 12, 2007 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Until Evo checks in I'm closing this thread. Few here are qualified to speculate on the matter, and those who aren't, shouldn't.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?