1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paradox Equations

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    Hi

Do any of you guys know what equations or formulas I should be using for questions like "If A is on Earth and B is an Astronaut travelling near the speed of light". Calculate the duration of B's journey to A and the duration of B's journey according to B.

I assume that B's time calculation (The proper time) is less than the time calculated in A's frame. I'm puzzled when the equation involving gamma was involved which I think is the Time Factor.

Could you tell me which equations should I be looking at for those 2 situations other than c = s/t

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Gamma, the Lorentz factor, is involved with both time dilation and length contraction.

That's the big one. Realize that distances are contracted for the moving observer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook