Solving for Time: Paradox Equations for Astronauts Near Light Speed

• Thread starter NeroBlade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, the conversation is discussing the equations and formulas needed to calculate the duration of a journey for an astronaut traveling near the speed of light. The Lorentz factor, or gamma, is mentioned as being involved in both time dilation and length contraction. The equation c = s/t is also mentioned as being important to consider.
NeroBlade
Hi

Do any of you guys know what equations or formulas I should be using for questions like "If A is on Earth and B is an Astronaut traveling near the speed of light". Calculate the duration of B's journey to A and the duration of B's journey according to B.

I assume that B's time calculation (The proper time) is less than the time calculated in A's frame. I'm puzzled when the equation involving gamma was involved which I think is the Time Factor.

Could you tell me which equations should I be looking at for those 2 situations other than c = s/t

Physics news on Phys.org
NeroBlade said:
I assume that B's time calculation (The proper time) is less than the time calculated in A's frame. I'm puzzled when the equation involving gamma was involved which I think is the Time Factor.
Gamma, the Lorentz factor, is involved with both time dilation and length contraction.

Could you tell me which equations should I be looking at for those 2 situations other than c = s/t
That's the big one. Realize that distances are contracted for the moving observer.

Hello!

When dealing with situations involving astronauts traveling near the speed of light, we must take into account the effects of special relativity on time. The equations you will need to use are the time dilation equation, which is t = t0 / √(1 - (v^2 / c^2)), and the length contraction equation, which is L = L0 √(1 - (v^2 / c^2)). Here, t0 represents the time in the stationary frame (in this case, A's frame), t represents the time in the moving frame (B's frame), v represents the velocity of the astronaut, c represents the speed of light, L0 represents the length of an object in the stationary frame, and L represents the length of the same object in the moving frame.

To solve for the duration of B's journey to A, you will need to use the time dilation equation. Plug in the values for t0 and v, and solve for t. This will give you the time in A's frame. To find the duration of B's journey according to B, you will need to use the length contraction equation. Plug in the values for L0 and v, and solve for L. This will give you the length of the journey as perceived by B.

The time factor, gamma, is also important to consider when dealing with time dilation. It is represented by the symbol γ and is equal to 1 / √(1 - (v^2 / c^2)). This factor takes into account the effects of special relativity on time and is used in the time dilation equation.

I hope this helps you in solving for time in these types of situations. Remember to always take into account the effects of special relativity when dealing with astronauts traveling near the speed of light. Good luck!

What is the concept of time dilation?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time passes at a different rate for objects that are moving at different speeds. This was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity and has been proven through numerous experiments.

How does time dilation affect astronauts near light speed?

As an object approaches the speed of light, time for that object slows down in relation to a stationary observer. This means that time will pass slower for astronauts traveling at high speeds, making them age slower than those on Earth.

What is a time paradox and how does it relate to time dilation?

A time paradox is a situation where a series of events causes a contradiction or inconsistency in the timeline. This can occur when an object travels at high speeds and experiences time dilation, leading to a difference in the passage of time compared to a stationary observer. This can result in a paradox where the object may appear to travel back in time, creating a contradiction in the timeline.

How do scientists solve for time in these paradox equations?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as the Lorentz transformation, to solve for time in these paradox situations. These equations take into account factors such as the relative velocity of the object and the distance traveled to accurately calculate the passage of time for the moving object.

Is time dilation only applicable to objects near light speed?

No, time dilation can occur at any speed, but it becomes more significant as the speed of the object approaches the speed of light. Even objects traveling at speeds much slower than light can experience a slight difference in the passage of time compared to a stationary observer.