Paradox of Motion: Physics & Math Explained

In summary: Since it seems that you(1) find it self-evident that objects do appear to pass an infinite number of points in a finite amount of time,and since you(2) have not given a reason why objects should not appear to pass an infinite number of points in a finite amount of time,your only reasonable conclusion is(3) objects can pass an infinite number of points in a finite amount of time.
Hurkyl said:
Yes, I'll say vague -- I've never been impressed by any presentation of Zeno's arguments.
Compare with, say, the Liar's paradox, in which I can formally derive a contradiction:
If P is the statement "P is false", then we have:
P = T or P = F
P = T --> P = F
P = T --> P = T and P = F
P = F --> P = T
P = F --> P = T and P = F
P = T and P = F
This is a real paradox. It, and other similar paradoxes, are the reason why the usual formal logic is designed in such a way that statements cannot refer to themselves (even indirectly!)
I know this is from several months ago, but:

Statements can refer to themselves. In theories of arithmetic, you can code all statements as Gödel numbers, so that statements are essentially capable of making assertions about other statements. A theorem known as the Fixed Point Theorem then shows that for any expressible property p, there is a statement which says "This sentence satisfies property p".

The liar's paradox is avoided because the property of being a true statement is not expressible in theories of arithmetic. This is known as Tarski's Theorem.

Physics news on Phys.org
doesnt it just past each point in an infintesmal amount of time

I understand his problem quite well, because I've thought of it while sitting in Math class a fiew times, but quickly dismissed it via the anthropic principle :P