Paradox Regarding Hermiticity

• Thread starter neelakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, the conversation discusses the Hermitian property of the Hamiltonian operator in Quantum Mechanics and whether the time derivative term, \ i \hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial\ t}, is also Hermitian. The participants agree that it is difficult to determine as there is no time representation in quantum mechanics. However, the speaker presents a method using pure mathematics to show that the operator is Hermitian when integrated over time, but they are unsure if the same method would work when integrated over space. They conclude that the operator is only Hermitian for functions that are solutions of the Schrodinger's equation and related by the unitary time evolution operator.
neelakash
Here is an interesting piece of paradox.

We all know Hamiltonian is an energy operator in Quantum Mechanics.The Schrodinger's equation tells that
[tex]\ H\psi=\ i \hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial\ t}\psi[/tex]

Now,we also know that Hamiltoian is Hermitian.But are we sure that

[tex]\ i \hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial\ t}[/tex] is also Hermitian?It is difficult to see as [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial\ t}[/tex] cannot have any matrix representation(as far as I know---in what basis would we expand the operator to find its matrix elements?).

To check this from the definition of the scalar product-

[tex]\int\psi\ *\ A\phi\ d\ V

=

\int(\ A\psi)\ *\phi\ d\ V[/tex]

the first thing looks reasonable to ask is whether [tex]\ d\ V[/tex] should be position or time.

If it is time,then the LHS can be integrated to see that there will be the desired term (RHS) plus a term like [tex][\psi^\ *\phi]_{\ t_\ 1}^{\ t_\ 2}[/tex]

Then there maight be a solution to the problem.Because,wave functions related by a unitary time evolution operator are seen to satisfy the above.

What you people think about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me tell you what I understood regarding this problem:Let me use the formula:

[tex]\int\psi^\ *\ A\phi\ d\ V =\int(\ A\psi)^\ *\phi\ d\ V[/tex]

[tex]\int\psi\ *[\ i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial\ t}\phi]\ dt

=\ i\hbar\int\psi\ *[\frac{\partial}{\partial\ t}]\phi\ dt

=\ i\hbar[\int\( -\frac{\partial}{\partial\ t}\psi\ *)\phi\ dt\ +\[\psi*\phi]_{\ t_\ 1}^{\ t_\ 2}]

=\int[\ i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial\ t}\psi]\ *\phi\ dt\ +\ i\hbar[\psi*\phi]_{\ t_\ 1}^{\ t_\ 2}[/tex]

Now we can clearly see that the operator would be hermitian if the boundary term [tex]\psi(\ t_2)\ *\phi(\ t_2)-\psi(\ t_1)\ *\phi(\ t_1)=0[/tex]

Note that till now,we have used pure mathematics.I have integrated over time,instead over the space (this is my assumption for my method to work).

Now,I search for the functions that have the property.Presumably,the solutions of Schrodinger's equation possibly has this property. if [tex]\psi[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] are the solutions of the Schrodinger's equation they satisfy:

[tex]\psi(\ t_2)= exp[\frac{\ -i\int\ H\ dt}{\hbar}]\psi(\ t_1)[/tex] where the exponential is the unitary time evolution operator.

Similarly,[tex]\phi(\ t_2)= exp[\frac{\ -i\int\ H\ dt}{\hbar}]\phi(\ t_1)[/tex]

And [tex]\psi(\ t_2)\ *= exp[\frac{\ i\int\ H\ dt}{\hbar}]\psi(\ t_1)\ *[/tex]

Thus, clearly the solutions of Schrodinger's equation that possesses the above property smoothly fit into the condition

[tex]\psi(\ t_2)\ *\phi(\ t_2)-\psi(\ t_1)\ *\phi(\ t_1)=0[/tex]

So,my conclusion is not for all functions [tex]\ i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial\ t}[/tex] is a hermitian operator.However,if the functions are the solutions of Schrodinger's equation.so that they may be relaterd by the unitary time evolution operator,only in that case [tex]\ i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial\ t}[/tex] is identical with the Hamiltonian operator.And they are hermitian.

However,this method works for I integrated over time.I am not sure if the result works as well if I work by integrating the space.Basically,this is the point of my confusuion.There is no time representation in quantum mechanics,analogous to position representation or momentum representation.So,is the integration over time valid?

I would say that this is indeed an interesting paradox. The Schrodinger's equation tells us that the Hamiltonian operator is Hermitian, meaning that it satisfies the property of Hermiticity which states that the operator is equal to its own conjugate transpose. However, when we look at the time derivative term in the equation, it is not immediately clear if it is also Hermitian.

One possible solution to this paradox is to consider the time derivative term as a generator of time translations. In this case, it can be shown that the time derivative operator is indeed Hermitian. Another approach is to consider the time derivative term as a part of the Hamiltonian operator itself, in which case it would also inherit the Hermitian property.

It is also worth noting that the concept of Hermiticity is closely related to the concept of observables in quantum mechanics. Therefore, the question of whether the time derivative term is Hermitian also raises the question of whether it is a physically meaningful observable.

Ultimately, this paradox highlights the complexities and nuances of quantum mechanics, and serves as a reminder that there is always more to learn and understand in the realm of science.

What is the Paradox Regarding Hermiticity?

The Paradox Regarding Hermiticity is a problem in quantum mechanics that arises when trying to reconcile the concept of Hermitian operators, which are used to represent physical observables, with the fact that not all physical observables can be Hermitian.

What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a mathematical representation of a physical observable, such as position or momentum, in quantum mechanics. These operators have the property that their eigenvalues (possible measurement outcomes) are real numbers, and their eigenvectors (states in which the observable has a definite value) are orthogonal.

What is the significance of Hermiticity in quantum mechanics?

Hermiticity is important in quantum mechanics because it ensures that the eigenvalues of an operator correspond to physically measurable quantities. It also guarantees that the operator will have a complete set of orthogonal eigenvectors, which are used to construct the wavefunction of a quantum system.

What is the paradox in the Paradox Regarding Hermiticity?

The paradox arises when trying to represent physical observables that do not have real eigenvalues, such as energy. This is because Hermitian operators must have real eigenvalues, but energy is often a complex quantity in quantum mechanics.

How is the Paradox Regarding Hermiticity resolved?

The paradox is resolved by recognizing that while not all physical observables can be represented by Hermitian operators, they can still be represented by pseudo-Hermitian operators. These operators have complex eigenvalues and non-orthogonal eigenvectors, but they still satisfy all the necessary mathematical requirements for representing physical observables.